• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XML list of monsters

kamosa

Explorer
Hello.

I'm looking to build a DB tool to help create encounters for my home game. Since I don't want to type it all in, I was hoping someone had already converted the monster manual to and XML file. Does anyone out there in Enworld land have such a file, or perhaps a csv file. Heck I't even take and excel file.

Thanks.

Davin

First Post
Be careful that you ask for/get the [R]SRD monster list rather than the actual MM monsters. The ones out of the book are WotC IP and shouldn't be shared in that manner.

pensiv

Explorer
it's not "pseudo-xml" that I can tell (I don't think there is such a thing), it just has errors in it that keep it from parsing correctly.

Last edited:

Jeranon

First Post
omokage said:
it's not "pseudo-xml" that I can tell (I don't think there is such a thing), it just has errors in it that keep it from parsing correctly.

If I remember correctly, do a global search and replace on '&' for '&' (in the reference element).

pensiv

Explorer
Jeranon said:
If I remember correctly, do a global search and replace on '&' for '&' (in the reference element).
an undeclared entity '&' in this case would cause an error, but I got some other errors too, one involving a tag ending with ) instead of > for some reason.

Last edited:

Sir Whiskers

First Post
omokage said:

I'll take your word for it concerning the terminology - I'm just repeating what was said on the thread where the link was first posted some months ago. :p

Regardless, as you've indicated, attempting to import the file generates a lot of errors. I figure someone will eventually post a file I can use, so I didn't spend much time trying to find all of them.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Sir Whiskers said:
I'll take your word for it concerning the terminology - I'm just repeating what was said on the thread where the link was first posted some months ago. :p

Regardless, as you've indicated, attempting to import the file generates a lot of errors. I figure someone will eventually post a file I can use, so I didn't spend much time trying to find all of them.

I've (finally) updated the files on my site. It is proper XML now. Enjoy!

Andargor

Sir Whiskers

First Post
andargor said:
I've (finally) updated the files on my site. It is proper XML now. Enjoy!

Andargor

Many Thanks! I just downloaded it and the monster data imports fine.

One quick tip: for some creatures, the "organization" field has more than 255 characters. If importing into Access, set this field to memo, or live with the fact that the program will truncate the data when importing.

Remove ads