• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[XPH] Psion versus Wizard/Sorcerer

foxylady

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
That alone is enough to really take a look at the Sorcerer's power level. Why they didn't fix them in 3.5 I'll never know. The ability to swap out spells really helped, but it's not enough.
The loss of multi-function spells (Eyebite, Symbol) in 3.5 nerfed the Sorceror far more than the Wizard. I doubt this was unforseen, but given WotC's antipathy towards the Sorceror, I don't think they cared.

foxylady

First Post
Shadowdweller said:
- Rogues? Psions cannot be caught surprised or flat-footed (Detect Hostile Intent. Compare this bad boy to Foresight!)
An excellent proof that Foresight is absurdly, woefully underpowered for its level.

Thanee

First Post
Sidenote:

Foresight is so vague, it can easily scale from completely useless to horribly overpowered, just by interpretation.

If it only grants that +2 bonus, as a result of what has been written above in the spell's description, then it's kinda useless. If it gives that bonus in situations, where you normally cannot react, but otherwise gives you a fair warning and the ability to execute the action to prevent whatever is about to hit you (i.e. stop before you move onto a trap), then it's fairly powerful, because often such an action can prevent any harm altogether with no roll necessary.

Bye
Thanee

Shard O'Glase

First Post
foxylady said:
The loss of multi-function spells (Eyebite, Symbol) in 3.5 nerfed the Sorceror far more than the Wizard. I doubt this was unforseen, but given WotC's antipathy towards the Sorceror, I don't think they cared.

The loss of the multifunction spells was just so dumb. Its yet another reason I'm sticking to 3.0 and adding some 3.5 rules as house rules instead of the reverse. Its not overwhelming but I just ended up with more 3.0 house rules tacked onto a 3.5 game than I did with a 3.0 game with 3.5 house rules. In this case they should of kept in the multifunction spells and added in the separated out versions that are lower level to give a choice and not royally hose over the already hosed over sorcerer.

Remove ads