• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Y: The last man trailer

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe...

I don't know. I stopped watching Walking Dead very early on for similar reasons.

However, I think some of the characters from this show are potentially worse because they combine incompetence with selfish attitudes which directly (and intentionally) lead to sabatoging the survival efforts of others.

355 and Yorick's story was handled a little better, with Terminator 2 style kneecapping people and the people involved figuring out how to begrudgingly work together as different personalities.

In contrast, Hero secretly destroys valuable resources which her and Sam could have used.
"Fear the Walking Dead" was the spin-off series, that went back to the original Zombie Apocalypse to tell the stories of different people. For example one of the characters was the son in one of the families, who was an addict and all around idiot, who kept doing stupid things that should have gotten them all killed, repeatedly. Pretty much all of them were "too stupid to live", but he stood out.

Argyle King

Legend
"Fear the Walking Dead" was the spin-off series, that went back to the original Zombie Apocalypse to tell the stories of different people. For example one of the characters was the son in one of the families, who was an addict and all around idiot, who kept doing stupid things that should have gotten them all killed, repeatedly. Pretty much all of them were "too stupid to live", but he stood out.

Thanks for the explanation.

I didn't watch that series at all.

For me personally, what makes a few of the characters from Y so bad is that the "too stupid..." part consists of actively choosing things which very directly and very directly screw over other people - without any discernable upside for why the character would make such a choice.

I mean, yeah, okay... I get that some people are just selfish a-holes, but being selfish usually has some underlying reasoning (even if it's faulty reasoning) for how the person sees the choice as being beneficial.

The lady in charge of the Amazons turns out to be a somewhat scummy person as you learn more of her story, but it makes some amount of sense why she's doing what she's doing and how her personality evolved.

I hate to harp on Hero, but her reoccurring theme seems to be "I'm willing to go completely out of my way to f' over people that I care about because reasons, even if that means also f' myself over; then I'll be really sad when they react negatively to it."

I'm not sure if that's intended to be some portrayal of PTSD related to events at the beginning of the show. Maybe it's explained better in the comics. (I haven't read them.)

The mom with the little girl is marginally better.

Honestly, it could be that I'm being unfair to a lot of the show because the last few episodes featured two of my least favorite characters so heavily.

Remove ads