• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Y: The last man trailer

It has been an okay show. There have been a handful of interesting scenes, but given that it's adapting a comic that came out before The Walking Dead tv show premiered, unsurprisingly little has been something we haven't seen before in a "society falls apart" tv show.

Agent 355 is a delight, and Yorick is growing on me. Their road adventure is pretty standard fare, but it's at least been interesting to see different snippets of different areas adapting to the disaster in their own ways.

Hero's plot line works for me with its great hook of her guilt, plus the dynamics of the proto-Amazons.

But the politics stuff? Oy, rather weak. It's just treading water, and the characters are not doing anything interesting politically. Like, despite the situation being so wildly different from the real world, there's no changing of political views or coalitions, no dive into why people have the political stances they do and how those were influenced by patriarchal power structures. And no stakes were established other than "will Yorick's mom get found out?"

I'd have given it a second season at least, personally. But it hasn't wowed me.

Argyle King

Legend
I just finished watching episode 8.

I like the general idea.

My biggest gripe about the show is a lack of likeable characters. I don't have an issue with flawed characters. I don't have an issue with morally gray characters either.

However, it does appear that most of the main characters would be severe liabilities in a situation where survival is a concern, and severe liabilities directly caused by their own personality traits and choices.

I can't elaborate further without spoiling the show.

Ryujin

Legend
I just finished watching episode 8.

I like the general idea.

My biggest gripe about the show is a lack of likeable characters. I don't have an issue with flawed characters. I don't have an issue with morally gray characters either.

However, it does appear that most of the main characters would be severe liabilities in a situation where survival is a concern, and severe liabilities directly caused by their own personality traits and choices.

I can't elaborate further without spoiling the show.
Much like how no one in "Fear the Walking Dead" should have survived past roughly episode 3 then?

Argyle King

Legend
Much like how no one in "Fear the Walking Dead" should have survived past roughly episode 3 then?

Maybe...

I don't know. I stopped watching Walking Dead very early on for similar reasons.

However, I think some of the characters from this show are potentially worse because they combine incompetence with selfish attitudes which directly (and intentionally) lead to sabatoging the survival efforts of others.

355 and Yorick's story was handled a little better, with Terminator 2 style kneecapping people and the people involved figuring out how to begrudgingly work together as different personalities.

In contrast, Hero secretly destroys valuable resources which her and Sam could have used.

I read the comic back when it came out, and enjoyed it enough to eventually buy the trade paperbacks, which I still own.

I just haven't been able to get into the show, though. I didn't expect it to follow the comic religiously, but there is just something about the series that has kept me from getting as engaged with it. I watched several episodes, and have the last few recorded, but now that they have canceled it I don't see much point in finishing them. If it gets picked up by Netflix or someone else and they continue the series I'll give it another chance, but at this point I just can't work up any enthusiasm for it.

Mercurius

Legend
I read the comic back when it came out, and enjoyed it enough to eventually buy the trade paperbacks, which I still own.

I just haven't been able to get into the show, though. I didn't expect it to follow the comic religiously, but there is just something about the series that has kept me from getting as engaged with it. I watched several episodes, and have the last few recorded, but now that they have canceled it I don't see much point in finishing them. If it gets picked up by Netflix or someone else and they continue the series I'll give it another chance, but at this point I just can't work up any enthusiasm for it.

I think we're in a post-Game of Thrones era, which has positives and negatives. The positive is that SFF is now hot, so we're getting tons of options. The negative is that more means that 95+% of new shows won't be as good as GoT, which has been the case, and some will be really bad (Shannara, at least the one episode I saw).

Not unlike the MCU: it is all so formulaic, and as long as they rely upon trying to one-up every past movie with spectacle and camp, there's going to be a sense of gradual diminishing, like taping over the same cassette, over and over again.

Remove ads