D&D 5E Yawning portal adventures: Best one shot?

hastur_nz

First Post
My recollection of Forge of Fury, is that you won't get it finished in two sessions. But I could be wrong, we played it a long time ago (I was one of many players).

Sunless Citadel is for levels 1-3, so depends entirely on if your group wants to "start over" for a one-shot - normally, people prefer to start a bit higher so that they can kick off 'fully functional' rather than building into a campaign where genuine character development can be done.

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan: the original module was a "tournament" style; as noted above, you started in the middle and had to escape before time runs out (and you die of poison gas, IIRC). It was then re-worked, to allow for more of a "campaign" style, where you start at the top, go in, then get back out, maybe without the time pressure. So it's definitely a great module for a "one shot" if you run it in the original "tournament" style, and is probably for level 5+ IIRC.

Against the Giants: I've run all three of these, converting them to 3.0 which was hard on me and also hard on the PC's life expectancy, and I trimmed down various sections especially the last two.

G1 (Hill Giant Steading) *could* be a decent one-shot, depending on how the conversion works out. As written for 1E, it's got huge potential for TPK if the PC's alert the complex and try to "stand and deliver"; converting all those monsters to 5e makes that even much more so! I presume they will slim down the numbers of at least some foes (even if it's just so they can all fit in the rooms), and account for the (rather silly) fact that Giants are now Huge not Large.

If you set it up right, as some kind of "stealth / hit and run" mission, it could certainly be run as a 1-2 session one-off. When I ran it, the players were pretty new to 3.0 and fighter-types got slaughtered early on, but they quickly adapted and used more stealth and mobility, avoiding any huge melees that would have been TPK time. I like the adventure, in that it's a very simple set up, but requires a fair degree of skill and planning from the players to avoid getting themselves slaughtered - every group comes up with some interesting approaches (e.g. in mine, after a failed attempt to sneak in via the back courtyard, a halfling climbed down a chimney, scouted around, killed the sleeping guards at the front door, then let the other PC's in so they could sneak around the outskirts first).

G2 and G3 are just too big, even if you cut out a lot of the repetitive stuff (esp. G2), and they don't lend themselves to some kind of stealth / in-and-out type of mission that G1 does.

speculart

First Post
Thats a great wrap up Hastur_nz.

I can say one thing. These responses have excited about aspects of pretty much every adventure on offer. Looks like I am buying the book instead of one of the modules on roll20!

Jamey Haas

First Post
Am I reading this right in tomb of horrors, if players make no agressive towards the demi lich they can just walk out with his treasure Scott free?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Getting ready to send my 12yo and two of his friends through White Plume Mountain (the first actual "module" for the campaign that's up to 9th level). And now that I'm getting into the details. 10' squares?!?! And the monster descriptions online that pop-up with the hover over don't have the attacks!?!? Keraptis really was evil!!!

1631062551840.png

1631062517880.png

pukunui

Legend
And the monster descriptions online that pop-up with the hover over don't have the attacks!?!?
The pop-ups don't display the full statblock. You have to click through to get the full thing, including the attacks. The pop-up is just a quick reference thing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
White Plume Mountain is the easiest to one-shot, and a blast. It's the iconic "This dungeon is not intended to make sense, but just deliver fun."

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have played several of these.

Forge of Fury have a very classic feel but may take a bit longer, though if the characters start high enough (5th level, 4th with a bigger group) it might work.

Tamochan is a puzzle dungeon with a tournament play set up and perfect for this. White Plume is both gonzo, and yet somehow a module for thinking players and not too long and can make a great one shot.

Then there is the hill giants steading. This has a huge, ahmm, twist to it (a bunch of giants at a party, plus whos hiding in the basement). Make sure the characters can handle it, add some time pressure, and then see what the players do. Give them 2 sessions.

So, you have some options.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The pop-ups don't display the full statblock. You have to click through to get the full thing, including the attacks. The pop-up is just a quick reference thing.
I'd much rather have the attacks than the ability scores (or at least have the ability scores be smaller... or my computer monitor bigger to open the other windows with everything else).

pukunui

Legend
I'd much rather have the attacks than the ability scores (or at least have the ability scores be smaller... or my computer monitor bigger to open the other windows with everything else).
You’ll have to bring that up with the D&D Beyond dev team on their forums then.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
White Plume is both gonzo, and yet somehow a module for thinking players and

Then there is the hill giants steading. This has a huge, ahmm, twist to it (a bunch of giants at a party, plus whos hiding in the basement). Make sure the characters can handle it, add some time pressure, and then see what the players do. Give them 2 sessions.

If my group likes White Plume, we might follow it up with the start of the giants (not sure if the whole thing fits into the plans, but it could, they are getting closer to where some Drow would be).

Remove ads