D&D 5E Yawning portal adventures: Best one shot?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Sweet necro. One of my groups has White Plume in their very near future... Replacing Whelm and Blackrazor with other artifacts that fit into my overall storyline.

GuyBoy

Hero
I adore the Giants series and have run it several times, in whole or in part, starting in 1979 and most recently in a 5e campaign set in Sterich initially. It’s a blast, but maybe not for a limited time game.
I’d recommend Forge of Fury, which I DM-ed early in 3e. Great fun was had by all, except maybe the chainmail-clad barbarian who jumped into the subterranean river to escape the roper!
I’ve only ever played White Plume, back in around 1981, and remember it with both fondness and terror; a combination which is tough to achieve and speaks volumes for both the module and my DM from the time. Shout out, Simon if you ever read this forum.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
How long are your sessions?

If you run them more or less as written, Sunless Citadel takes about 12 hours and Forge of Fury 16+ hours.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that the thread was 4 years old.

Last edited:

If you want to finish in a session or two then White Plume Mountain or Shrine of Tamoachan. We finished both in three 4 hour sessions. There was a lot of asshattery that slowed the game down but made it more fun. White Plume Mountain was a LOT of fun, better than I remember. Cautionary Note: the weapons from WPM are insanely powerful. Just look up "Wave" in the 5e DMG. I was playing a Bard who demolished an Efreti in a single round. No fooling. My first attack with Wave was a Nat 20 and he took a metric crap ton of damage. No to mention, it has all of the powers of a Cube of Force. These weapons are god killers.

jgsugden

Legend
What is a session to you? 3 hours? 4? 6? 8?

If you want a palette cleanser from CoS, I'd go with Forge of Fury. It is self contained, PCs are low level so you won't struggle with the "what can my PC do" one shot syndrome as much, and it has interesting terrain for battles.

Remove ads