Yawning Portal Tavern in 5e

gyor

Legend
This one Tavern seems weirdly important in 5e. I believe it's where WDDH starts, it's how you get to the portals from which TOTYP dungeons are reached, it's the entrance to Undermountain, and while it has less impact on the other adventurers, it's a good place to rest at some point in the other adventures, except for ToA and CoS. Actually, no reason the mists can find you in the Tavern.

If one can take ones character from FR to Eberron or Ravnica, the Yawning Portal would be one of the most likely places to do so.

Yawning Portal was always useful, but it seems oddly central to 5e, like THE tavern.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In the game I run on the side, it's actually HELL because it worked for my backup character scheme and also I struggle to think of a worse place to spend valuable session time than in a tavern.

When your character dies in this game, your soul is sent to the Yawning Portal to tell others about your adventures for all eternity.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Taverns in general are a pretty iconic part of D&D. “You all meet in a tavern” is the most classic (or cliche, depending on how cynical you are) start to a campaign. It’s the first place PCs look for when they arrive in a new town. It’s often where you go to pick up quest hooks. And the Yawning Portal is probably the best-known D&D tavern.

GlassJaw

Hero
In the game I run on the side, it's actually HELL because it worked for my backup character scheme and also I struggle to think of a worse place to spend valuable session time than in a tavern.

When your character dies in this game, your soul is sent to the Yawning Portal to tell others about your adventures for all eternity.

So much awesome! Although an even worse hell is to be sent to a place where you are forced to listen to OTHER people talk about their adventures.

There is nothing worse than getting into a conversation and someone saying "let me tell you about my character". No, please don't. :erm: :p

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
So much awesome! Although an even worse hell is to be sent to a place where you are forced to listen to OTHER people talk about their adventures.

There is nothing worse than getting into a conversation and someone saying "let me tell you about my character". No, please don't. :erm: :p

Yeah, that's the idea... because you're not the only damned adventurer in the tavern. You're forced to both tell and listen FOREVER!

Satyrn

First Post

This one time, at bandcamp work, I got stuck beside some guy who spent two hours telling me all about his character.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This one Tavern seems weirdly important in 5e. I believe it's where WDDH starts, it's how you get to the portals from which TOTYP dungeons are reached, it's the entrance to Undermountain, and while it has less impact on the other adventurers, it's a good place to rest at some point in the other adventures, except for ToA and CoS. Actually, no reason the mists can find you in the Tavern.

If one can take ones character from FR to Eberron or Ravnica, the Yawning Portal would be one of the most likely places to do so.

Yawning Portal was always useful, but it seems oddly central to 5e, like THE tavern.

Apparently, it was set to be a central location in the Warner Bros. movie when that was in development, and maybe that is still part of their long termlan.

tardigrade

Explorer
Hasn't it always been a central Waterdeep location? As you say, it's the entrance to Undermountain so was literally the only location in Waterdeep I could have named in 2e (we ran a Dales/Moonsea campaign). Heck, it still is. Also I vaguely remember there's some significance to Durnan (the guy who built it) - someone's old PC or something similar (although the current owner is his great-great-great grandson or something).

Remove ads