• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yeenoghu writeup

Forgive me for typos; I am in the airport in Lima with a 10 hour layover and a spanish keyboard. And no apostrophe key that I can find!

So, being bored, I have just read the Yeenoghu writeup at the WoTC site.

It appears that there is already a huge thread about him being CR20. I would have written him at least at CR25, so that he would be a big challenge to a lvl 20 party, not an average encounter. But that is not what I want to gripe about.

The writeup says that he has 24 INT. and that, in combat, he always opens by casting Bulls Strength. At high levels, he might as well just give his opponents a free round. Why , instead, does he not teleport away and buff himself, or cast power word stun, or something like that? It is absurd for a 24 int bad guy with a huge assortment of spell like abilities to open with a 2nd level spell.

I think it is great that WoTC offers tactics for monsters like Yeenoghu. I just wish they would think a bit more about those tactics, before committing them to print.

Ken

Crothian

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
The writeup says that he has 24 INT. and that, in combat, he always opens by casting Bulls Strength. At high levels, he might as well just give his opponents a free round. Why , instead, does he not teleport away and buff himself, or cast power word stun, or something like that? It is absurd for a 24 int bad guy with a huge assortment of spell like abilities to open with a 2nd level spell.

My guess is that while he has a 24 Int, the guy doin g the write does not......

gizmo33

First Post
It's hard to imagine Yeenoghu sitting in a room waiting for adventurers to smash down the door and start fighting. I would think that an encounter involving Yeenoghu would be a little more complex than what can be handled with a generic tactics write-up - possibly involving terrain, lackeys, subterfuge, etc. all before a final show-down.

For those DMs that must have something for Yeenoghu in a pinch, how about this:
1. teleport away
2. find out who the PCs are
3. kill everyone that they know
4. hire doppelgangers to do evil things in the name of the PCs
5. send some cultists after them
6. set up a false dungeon,
7. divide
8. conquer
9. fight the suriving PC

A dire boar is one thing, but IMO a demon lord probably deserves some more thought and detail - probably best saved for an adventure module or a DM who takes the time to work things out. Anything less and they're just making Yeenoghu a 20th level orc in a throw-away encounter.

Wolf72

Explorer
lol, 20th lvl orc ... good analogy.

I'd guess you'd play him like a dragon that knows you're coming ...

I would also assume that on his home plane he wouldn't be alone and the EL would be significantly higher too ...

A'koss

Explorer
Haffrung Helleyes said:
It appears that there is already a huge thread about him being CR20. I would have written him at least at CR25, so that he would be a big challenge to a lvl 20 party, not an average encounter. But that is not what I want to gripe about.
Waitaminute... CR 20? That's for his avatar though, right? He couldn't possibly hold his own realm if those stats on WotC's site are what he's like on his own plane.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
gizmo33 said:
1. teleport away

So, in the dog-eat-dog world of the Abyss, your first action when faced with a party of adventurers is... run away?

That'll inspire confidence in the minions.

catsclaw227

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
So, in the dog-eat-dog world of the Abyss, your first action when faced with a party of adventurers is... run away?

That'll inspire confidence in the minions.

Actually this is a good point, but there's no way that they'd stumble upon him by himself, and/or ummm... without him ALREADY being buffed beyond imagination. He'd have already summoned his gnolls, vrocks and ghouls.

Oh and he'd have a lot more than "+5 scale mail, triple flail" as his items.

Remove ads