• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another question regarding the Wish

severed_ronin

First Post
For a little background information, my character defeated an Efreet and then located the genie's lamp giving him access to three wishes of his choosing. My first wish was happily used in support of the party which leaves me with two wishes left. Now, I'm not about to go and ask for suggestions on what to wish for. I could easily retreat to other pre-posted threads for that. What I'm here to do is pose a few questions:

1) My character is a Drow. Could I use Wish to make my spell-like abilities usable at will an unlimited number of times per day (similar to Warlocks and their invocations)?

2) Seeing as how Wish can emulate any spell of 8th level or lower, could the Wish spell grant me a single spell of my choice as a spell-like ability usable in the way listed in #1? If not, could it grant me that spell usable 1/2/3 per day?

3) Could Wish be used to grant abilities such as Fast Healing, Tremorsense, Blindsight, etc.?

I have other questions, but I believe it best not to waste any extra space and take things one step at a time. Any assistance granted is highly appreciated and, as a last need-be precaution, please try to refrain from petty insults, trolling, and the like. Thank you.

IronWolf

blank
What I'm here to do is pose a few questions:

1) My character is a Drow. Could I use Wish to make my spell-like abilities usable at will an unlimited number of times per day (similar to Warlocks and their invocations)?

2) Seeing as how Wish can emulate any spell of 8th level or lower, could the Wish spell grant me a single spell of my choice as a spell-like ability usable in the way listed in #1? If not, could it grant me that spell usable 1/2/3 per day?

3) Could Wish be used to grant abilities such as Fast Healing, Tremorsense, Blindsight, etc.?

It looks to me that all of these possible wishes will fall under this (from the Wish spell description):

Wish Spell said:
You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment, at the GM's discretion.)

Kaiyanwang

Explorer
From a metagame viewpoint, I can see how the wish could be able to do this, but only if the DM don't consider it too overpowered and other players don't claim it unfair toward them.

As a DM, I generally don't twist wishes if they are used to restore things and power. Gain power is another matter, and lead to a dangerous way.

severed_ronin

First Post
Those were a few of the ideas I thought of and agreed with. They were actually questions a fellow player and I thought of. As for overpowered? That's one of those subjects that I agree that it is overpowered. However, should I go into a big long explanation as to why its not overpowered compared to fellow characters? Nah, it does no good. If its not something I'd allow in my session, I shouldn't ask for it. Thanks.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
Those were a few of the ideas I thought of and agreed with. They were actually questions a fellow player and I thought of. As for overpowered? That's one of those subjects that I agree that it is overpowered. However, should I go into a big long explanation as to why its not overpowered compared to fellow characters? Nah, it does no good. If its not something I'd allow in my session, I shouldn't ask for it. Thanks.

If your DM is running a high powered campaign then it might be well within reason to ask how he is going to run with the wish. If it truly is a case of the character in question being underpowered compared to the others then he might see it as a good chance to even that out.

Not knowing the power level of you campaign I could only give my opinion based on what's in the rules. But for the game you DM is running what the initial post suggested as possible options might fall right in line with what he considers reasonable.

jefgorbach

First Post
I doubt your DM will allow unlimited use of any/all your natural abilities from 1 or 2 Wishes ... however it would be reasonable for a Wish to grant an additional feat, and IRC there is a feat(s) increasing the number of times a day an innate/spell-like ability can be used.

Forget the source and dont have access to my copies right now but try Mongoose's Ultimate Feats and WOTC's Complete series, and Savage Species.

severed_ronin

First Post
I suppose its within the realm of possibility given that our campaign is high-powered. The reason I ask is because a fellow player was allowed to use a homebrew template based off the half-fiend with a few modifications whereas we were to make normal characters (albeit we had the LA ÷2 cap and were allowed to use bloodlines). It didn't seem like a problem at first but as time went on it became a bit above an annoyance. Our characters have all been granted magic items and the like and has evened it out a bit, but its still one-sided. He has a form that increases his ability scores to a point of near-epic as well as increasing his AC up to the 40s and 50s - from the high twenties. He's also a multiclass Fighter/Warlock so he's rolling high damage to the point wheere most things get hit once or twice and die. This isn't to say the others aren't high-powered (we have one player whose attacks are literally crit-or-miss) but the only thing my drow has going for him is his insane Stealth and Bluff. Like I said, its complicated but I've realized that this is mostly an excuse for the DM to throw bigger and much more challenging things at us. I don't have a problem with that but when my character is dead from a couple of her more challenging monsters and we've got a FighterLock with Fast Healing, a Ranger critting on 10-20 and a paladin who might as well be the Avatar of Mystra herself, my drow rogue with Stealth and Bluff just isn't making the cut.

Lastly, Jef, I believe the feat you're thinking of is 'Magic in the Blood' from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Last edited:

Tovec

Explorer
In our games we have always made a few basic assumptions about how Wish (especially from the non-spell source) works.

First, wish as the spell-like ability or being cast by anyone other than a arcane caster using the 9th level spell does NOT follow the same rules laid out in the 9th level spell description.

Second, wishing a wish must be done in character and in game. Meaning no long legalese to try and make your wish come out correctly.

Third, the DM should whenever possible follow the straightest and easiest path to the wish as it was said. Meaning if the wisher wishes for someone to fall in love with them then the outcome should be the person falling in love with the wisher. That being said it may be temporary, false-love (some kind of enchantment or illusion) or any other sort of downside. It also may be that the wish simply fails. Such as, in the case that you wish to be the most powerful creature ever, even more powerful than the king of the gods, blah blah blah.

So, back to your original (OP) questions.

If you want to be granted more magical powers or higher use of the powers you already possess then ask the DM if this is possible. If it is then just try and simply think how to wish for them. Probably starting with something like.. I wish my natural spell-like abilities to be increased.

It is not unheard of for wish to grant contingency [spell] or grant new spell-like abilities.

The abilities listed under your third question seem the most likely and easiest outcome.

Remove ads