• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another spell point spellcasting system...

donm61873

First Post
Our gaming group was "know it, throw it" back in 1e/2e days, so there are a number of players (including my wife) who chafe at the preparation stuff in 3e/3.5. So, here's a variant for your critique:

ASSUMPTIONS
1. Preparation: All spells are always considered prepared, even by traditionally spontaneous classes. Known spells for classes remain as per the rules, with Bards, Rangers, Paladins, and Sorcerers being limited by the tables in the book, Wizards by their spellbooks (and if they have them), and Clerics by the whim of their gods. If a spell has multiple versions, the character chooses which version to use when the character casts it. The character doesn't have to prepare (or learn, in the case of a bard) a specific version of the spell.

2. Material Components and Foci: All spellcasting classes are assumed to have the Eschew Materials feat, but expensive components and foci still are required.

3. Metamagic: Metamagic feats require no additional time for casting for any class.

SPELLCASTING
To cast a spell, the character must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, the character must concentrate to cast a spell. (See below for details.) Finally, the character must have enough spell points remaining to cast the spell: Every spell costs a number of spell points equal to twice its level, with 0-level spells costs 1 point. Apart from the limit on spell level to cast, a spellcaster may cast any spell known as long as they have spell points remaining to cast that spell.

SPELL POOLS
Spell points gained from any class must be tracked separately and spells from them cast separately. Each spellcasting class has spellcasting capability tied to a specific Ability, as described by that class. If a character's score in that ability is 9 or lower, the character can't cast spells tied to that ability.

Your spell points are based on your class and level, and your ability modifier for spellcasting in that class. The type of Spell Die used by characters of the class determines the number of spell points gained per level.

SD Type Class (Ability)
d4 Bards (Cha), Paladins (Wis), Rangers (Wis),
also Domain and Specialty Pools
d6 Clerics (Wis) and Druids (Wis)
d8 Wizards (Int)
d10 Sorcerers (Cha)

A character rolls one Spell Die each time he or she gains a new level in the appropriate class; the character then applies the ability modifier appropriate to spellcasting in that class (Int, Wis, or Cha), and adds the result to his or her previous spell point total. Paladins and Rangers only gain a Spell Die every even class level, and receive that first roll at 2nd level, but gain their ability modifier in spell points at every class level. The first Spell Die a character rolls in a spellcasting class is the maximum rather than rolling. At each level after first, PCs gain at least half their spell die minimum: d4=3, d6=4, d8=5, d10=6, d12=7.

KNOWN SPELLS
There are no changes to the rules for known spells for any classes. Clerics have all cleric spells in the PHB available to them, and others as allowed by their gods, Wizards are limited to their spell books or the Spell Mastery feat, and all other classes go by their table limits, and any feats which change those limits.

CLERICAL DOMAINS AND WIZARD SPECIALIZATION
In addition, the spell points that Clerics gains for their domains, or Wizards for their specialization, consist separate pools only usable for casting such spells. Characters who gain domain or specialty pools (Clerics or Wizards) roll a separate d4 (minimum 3) at each level they possess the pool for its points. There are no bonus points for ability modifiers for domain or specialty pools.

SPELL POINT RECOVERY
Spellcasters recover spell points at an hourly rate of 1 SP if active, or a number of SP equal to the cost of the highest level spell they can cast for an hour of uninterrupted rest.
Full spell point recovery (once per day) requires that divine spellcasters spend an hour in prayer and meditation (usually dawn or morning prayer), and arcane spellcasters spend an hour in study and meditation (again, usually in the morning, and requires spellbooks for appropriate classes), most effectively after a good night's rest (for all spellcasters). The DM will reduce recovery for lack of rest for all spellcasters.

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I will suggest playtesting. A friend of mine and me have been creating our spell-points systems back in AD&D 2e (the kind where 1 spell-point per level of the spell). I stopped that when a 10th level wizard with spell-points destroyed all by herself a full squad of trolls in lauching fireballs after fireballs. These days I don't mess up again with D&D 3.5. However, I created a spell-point system for d20 Modern/Past, and was careful to give few spell-points and drawbacks. However, this system too will have to be playetested, and compared with what would have done regular characters.

donm61873

First Post
Currently using this in my campaign for all spell casting classes, but that's way too small a group. The biggest issue has been the overlap between Sorcerers and Wizards, although not a problem for us, it would be a problem for the system overall. As far as the wizard taking out groups by herself, she tends to be a target for rocks from giants anyway :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads