You can now get a citation for making direct eye contact with a cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioltach

Legend
I caught a bit of a reality cop show the other day, where the deputy sheriff saw a car with tinted windows, and said, "That's my probable cause to pull him over."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are all kinds of regulations about what you can have installed in or decorating your car. Run afoul of one, and it is 100% legal probable cause. That is why I no longer have Mardi Gras beads hanging from my rear view mirror- driving with something dangling from your mirror is illegal in Texas.

In a lot of jurisdictions, window tint is on the list of regulated options. Make it too dark or place it on the wrong windows (for instance, only rear and back-seat aftermarket tint is legal in Texas), and again, it is 100% legal probable cause.

Somehow, though, I don't think prolonged eye contact will survive constitutional muster.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
In Illinois, the windshield and the front door windows cannot be tinted, rear and rear side door windows tinted is acceptable. So if your driver side door window is tinted you're probably going to get pulled over. I got a recent warning ticket for having a ball hitch on the bumper of my pickup truck, because it partially blocked the license plate, even though its a commercial vehicle that I regularly pull a trailer with.

Janx

Hero
My folks always warned me not to look directly at a cop as many officers WILL find it suspicious.

Yet ironically enough, not looking somebody in the eyes is also a flag for lying, hiding something, aka being suspicious.

Unless you stare at somebody's gender related body regions, every person must have the right to look wherever they may in a social situation free from judgement.

Eyes Matter!

Janx

Hero
There are all kinds of regulations about what you can have installed in or decorating your car. Run afoul of one, and it is 100% legal probable cause. That is why I no longer have Mardi Gras beads hanging from my rear view mirror- driving with something dangling from your mirror is illegal in Texas.

In a lot of jurisdictions, window tint is on the list of regulated options. Make it too dark or place it on the wrong windows (for instance, only rear and back-seat aftermarket tint is legal in Texas), and again, it is 100% legal probable cause.

Somehow, though, I don't think prolonged eye contact will survive constitutional muster.

Yup.

From a stereotype/profiling perspective, if I saw a shiny/flashy car with very dark tinted windows all around, I'd think I have a higher chance of pulling over a drug dealer than any other vehicle on the road. Of course, as a cop, I'd miss all the drug dealers moving product in crap mobiles because they don't draw much attention...

I blame rap videos, since that's the kind of cars they show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads