D&D 5E You Cant Fix The Class Imbalances IMHO

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is a misleading statement in multiple ways, making assumptions that you simply cannot prove out. There are a billion 'alternatives' out there.
For the vast majority of the player base, which is larger by many degrees than the player base has likely ever been, 5e is the end all, be all.

:unsure:

One major alternative we tend not to consider is just not getting into TTRPGs, at all.
That's an option whether you're jacked into anything D&D or not.

How many people don't play D&D?

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes, and I would have said the same for MtG, but it's simply not the case.

Mostly casual. Noticed this in 2002. We were online knew the "metagame" everyone else just played it like 2E or beer and pretzels.

If one in 10 are connected though roughly half the groups will have some sort of osmosis going on.

In our curse of strahd game I'm the only one doing oddball things with my order cleric.

Wife pulls off similar things with her builds. Everyone else just hits stuff hard ore uses decent spells but mostly the obvious ones.

Zardnaar

Legend
So very easy, hardly an inconvenience.

Whenever someone says 'it's not D&D', simply ignore them forever.

It's different enough people don't want it.
. If you rewrite enough and butcher the sacred cows it messes with peoples expectations.

And 4E had its in problems stretching 10 levels over 30, hit point bloat, straight jacket roles etc.

I don't mind some of those concepts just optional buy in not enforced. Eg AEDU powers in SWSE or subclasses in 5E.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It's different enough people don't want it.
. If you rewrite enough and butcher the sacred cows it messes with peoples expectations.
Still doesn't make it 'Not D&D' and people need to stop with that shoddy piece of argumentation.

You me and no one else on these boards or any other get to decide what's D&D.

and even the company that built a refined clone of 3.5, which is supposedly the one True D&D for some reason ended up doing a new edition that fixed things. That's evolution.

Zardnaar

Legend
Still doesn't make it 'Not D&D' and people need to stop with that shoddy piece of argumentation.

You me and no one else on these boards or any other get to decide what's D&D.

and even the company that built a refined clone of 3.5, which is supposedly the one True D&D for some reason ended up doing a new edition that fixed things. That's evolution.

That's the reality though. You're not going to get a 4.5 edition and they're not going to make drastic changes to the basic sacred cows now.

People hated with their feet we have essentially had 23 years of this design paradigm now, almost 50 if you count 2E and earlier.

There still trying to patch the game from 2000 when choices made then were terrible long term. One D&D nerfed some spells but those spells aren't the problem.

Vaalingrade

Legend
That's the reality though. You're not going to get a 4.5 edition and they're not going to make drastic changes to the basic sacred cows now.
They did have a 4.5. It was trying to bring back the people they should have ignored even though the problem was not lacking those people but lack of 3PP.

There still trying to patch the game from 2000 when choices made then were terrible long term. One D&D nerfed some spells but those spells aren't the problem.
Again, the people who made bank supporting 3.5 ended up reworking it to balance the classes and removing legacy cruft that doesn't work in the modern era.

Meanwhile we've got WotC over here playing Millhouse. "Remember ALF? He's back: in pog form!"

Tony Vargas

Legend
And 4E had its in problems stretching 10 levels over 30,
4e did three Tiers over 30 levels, and it worked through all of them.
Balance helps with that.
hit point bloat
TBF, the highest possible hp 4e character would top out at 257 hp at 30th (182 at 20th), 5e, I'd be 340, at 20th. Both are highly improbable, ironically sub-optimal builds, of course.

Remove ads