• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E You lads ever play 5e... on weed?

ssvegeta555

Explorer
No, I don't smoke but I DM'd a 5e session where my friends were smoking weed and all of us were drinking heavily. It was goofy and the game got out of hand a lot, but we had a lot of fun. Hmm... I should get the group back together again. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using EN World mobile app

Ace

Adventurer
Can't imagine trying to game high, my game is goofy enough as it is.

My current policy is marijuana is not welcome at my table even though its legal in my state and violating that warning will get you expelled . What you do in your own time is your business . I'm sketchy about alcohol , I'd rather you not drink though I could tolerate a small amount if permitted by law (over 21)

Illegal drugs the same and I might call the cops for hard drugs as well since it puts the group in legal jeopardy if police should show up. Take that *BLEEP* home and leave it there,

Its a hypothetical situation though as I don't know anyone who uses anything at current , have a zero association with illegal drug users rule and my group is all teetotalers.

As for "in game" various drugs do exist and characters are welcome to use them. I've had characters take hallucinogens which lead to some great game play, nearly ending the world. No I wasn't going all Nancy Reagan , the character was a demonolologist/pyromancer and it was the logical outcome. I

In 5e I haven't worked out the rules though

Sobriety is more common in D&D than in historical reality as water and milk is safe to drink, thanks to magic and there is tea. Heck there are countries in which public intoxication would result in execution and in fact as adventuring life is quite dangerous, not getting drunk or intoxicated is one of the ways you live a while longer.

Last edited:

As for in game, I'd say advantage on performance for an hour, disadvantage on initiative and intelligence checks for an hour, and bards regain 1 spent inspiration die.
I don't know about that, IMO, weed smokers THINK they are cooler and would be better at performing, but in reality they usually are just more annoying than usual. Maybe if they were trying a slapstick comedy, but otherwise I would give disadvantage. Though maybe advantage on fear and morale type saves.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It will be legal in Canada soon... but I think it would be something to do in a lot of moderation. Too much and well, the game becomes a mess.

Because that's the end result of getting drunk & poisoning yourself ISN'T beneficial?

I understand the logic of it. And I can see why a DM would ask for the check. My personal issue is that a generic statement like "We celebrate and get drunk." Is too broad a statement to warrant a check, and should be left to the Player to decide what that means for the PC.

I've seen people use the "hangover check" solely as a roleplay prompt, as in, "You failed the check, and woke up hungover, what does that look like." And i'm fine with that because it doesn't feel punitive, it's just for fun.

And it's fine to ask for the check when a Player makes it very obvious that their PC is hungover. " I got so drunk I wake up the next morning in a pig pen and my shirt nowhere to be found." That makes a lot more sense and seems like the Player is willing to risk a level of exhaustion for the joke, or to be true to their PC, or whatever other reason. It feels like an opt-in statement, is all I mean.

I used to have copies from some 3e hardcover rules supplement (forget which book) with sketchy suggestions on how to set up a drug gang for the PCs to investigate then beat up (or take over, based on some of the other comments in this thread). There is a whole page of Drugs and their Effects.

That's cool. I really like super drugs and weird magic drugs in fantasy games. They can have some really fun effects. But to me, they can be hard to balance because I haven't seen any over-dose, or addiction mechanics that are very good. And a lot of drugs default to those mechanics for balance and theme, which makes sense. I'm just not sure if I like over-dose, or addiction mechanics at all, actually.

the Jester

Legend
And it's fine to ask for the check when a Player makes it very obvious that their PC is hungover. " I got so drunk I wake up the next morning in a pig pen and my shirt nowhere to be found." That makes a lot more sense and seems like the Player is willing to risk a level of exhaustion for the joke, or to be true to their PC, or whatever other reason. It feels like an opt-in statement, is all I mean.

I take a slightly different approach. If the party goes drinking, I ask how drunk everyone gets. Based on their answer, I might have some pcs make a Con save in the morning to avoid being poisoned. The DC is usually 10, unless the player said that her character got uberdrunk, in which case it might be higher, and the condition usually lasts a while, again, based on how drunk they got.

Also, everything else being equal, a higher-Con character will pay more to get to same level of drunkenness as a low-Con character.

the Jester

Legend
That's cool. I really like super drugs and weird magic drugs in fantasy games. They can have some really fun effects. But to me, they can be hard to balance because I haven't seen any over-dose, or addiction mechanics that are very good. And a lot of drugs default to those mechanics for balance and theme, which makes sense. I'm just not sure if I like over-dose, or addiction mechanics at all, actually.

I pretty much entirely wing 'em based on how bad the drug is in my campaign. The one that is worst- that no pc has ever tried, even though my players and their characters both are often the super lushy willing to try anything kind of psychonauts- is blackroot grass.

My most recent game was #1248 in my campaign. Blackroot grass first appeared in game #1. It made a hell of an impression.

Remove ads