• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E You lads ever play 5e... on weed?

Cyrinishad

Explorer
My group may or may not play D&D while enjoying bongs and whiskey shots. Its possible. I would probably just assume the PC are slightly ripped like their players.

+1 to this... Sounds like this "may or may not" be the kind of gaming group that enjoys playing D&D the same way that I do.

I don't really see a worthwhile way to attribute an appropriate game mechanic to it, and if the other posts in this thread are any indication it would simply result in a wildly inaccurate or exaggerated cliche/stereotype...:hmm:

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Is it still 2017? Or did I fall into a time warp where everybody maintains antiquated, cliched stereotypes about marijuana and it's imbibers? I mean, Jesus Murphy, it's legal and/or decriminalized in 2/3's of the US!! At MY table the bong features prominently right next to the grid mat and our gaggle of mini's. None of us gets wasted but we enjoy a good beer or three. All of us are on the wrong side of 30 and have played like this since college. That's all I gotta say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Jester

Legend
Man oh man, if I was a cop short of his quota of tickets for the month, this thread title would draw my attention like a lightning rod draws lightning.

As for playing D&D ... If I had a stoned person pretending to play with the rest of us, I'd find a way to ignore his turn in the round or put him on a really short time limit to make up his mind and declare actions. I'd be working to keep the spotlight on the people who are paying attention to the matter at hand.

You can both be stoned and pay attention, you know.

Intentionally giving one player the short end of the stick is bad DMing. If it's a problem for you to have that kind of thing in your group, set the expectation before you start the campaign. But honestly, it's much ado about nothing, as long as you're not cutting them any special breaks. At least in my opinion.

schnee

First Post
Our 3E group thought it would be great to play stoned.

We also thought it would be awesome to capture it on video.

Never before had a single round of combat taken so long and had so many restarts, forgotten actions, and bad judgments. It was excruciating to watch ourselves.

We a) never did it again and b) deleted that video IMMEDIATELY.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Is it still 2017? Or did I fall into a time warp where everybody maintains antiquated, cliched stereotypes about marijuana and it's imbibers? I mean, Jesus Murphy, it's legal and/or decriminalized in 2/3's of the US!!

Decriminalized at the State level in some places, but still 100% illegal at the Federal level. In most situations, Fedral law supersedes State law, so MJ's legality is murky at best.

Bawylie

A very OK person
How would you represent the effects of something liek weed on your characters? I just smoked a bit irl and then I went and rolled around in the back yard like in Dark Souls and then I got this crazy thought in my head, that I guess the PCs can drink but what about GHOST WEED FROM THE SHADOWFELL.

Maybe disadvantage on Concentration checks and all Int checks while under the influence?

The paladins of Helm roll up and start using shocking grasp on you (like a taser) and taking you to Spellhold for possessing the ghost weed?

Alright obviously-not-the-FBI, lets all confess to some crimes.

I have adult players who smoke out, and other adult players who've done more than that. Some late night games have had players getting high. Never really seemed to affect any game play.

I used to play very drunk. Now I only play a little drunk.

-Brad

Remove ads