• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You primary stat should never be lower than 18

Cadfan

First Post
daddystabz said:
So to be as effective as possible, what do you think is the best stat to have an 18 in right out of the box for a Dragonborn Paladin? Which stat is best to put to 18 overall?
Charisma. But personally, I'd go 17 and 17, instead of 18 and whatever.

I'd do something like this, after racial modifiers

Str 17
Con 13
Dex 8
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 17

Then you can use absolutely any power you like, you get good bonuses from wisdom as a secondary score, your basic attacks are still powerful for when you take OAs or charge, everything basically works out. Only low item is your reflex save, but who cares? Wield a heavy shield, and have a lot of hit points. Its the tried and true solution for those with poor reflex.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
aprilia4life said:
You guys crack me up. 5% is 5%... that's a REALLY low percentage. It's a 11+ instead of a 10+ a one roll in TWENTY difference.
You can throw away that +1 sword, then. I mean, it's only 5%, right?

I'll keep mine, thanks.

Cheers, -- N

daddystabz

Explorer
Cadfan said:
Charisma. But personally, I'd go 17 and 17, instead of 18 and whatever.

I'd do something like this, after racial modifiers

Str 17
Con 13
Dex 8
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 17

Then you can use absolutely any power you like, you get good bonuses from wisdom as a secondary score, your basic attacks are still powerful for when you take OAs or charge, everything basically works out. Only low item is your reflex save, but who cares? Wield a heavy shield, and have a lot of hit points. Its the tried and true solution for those with poor reflex.

Are those starting stats for a Dragonborn legal?

Cadfan

First Post
daddystabz said:
Are those starting stats for a Dragonborn legal?
Its a 22 point buy. Its one of the legal arrays. The DM decides exactly what character generation you're going to use, but if he does the default, this is legal.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Arbitrary said:
No, everyone is not supposed to have an appropriate weapon/implement to their level at all times.
Well, if you don't have a weapon/implement close to your level, you're likely hitting less often than you did at lower levels, since monsters advance at 1/level, while PCs advance at 1/2, but get stat boosts and magic items.

OTOH, an item several levels above yours is not out of the question, either, so you might very well be able to manage getting a plain vanilla +4 item, while everyone else in the party is using +3 and +2 items of niftiness with extra properties or daily powers.

AllisterH

First Post
Um, doesn't the DMG actually state that as long as you're within a couple of points of the expected value, you'll be fine?

In game, I honestly you're going to notice that you hit on a 10 instead of an 8. I think the difference atually becomes noticeable and can swing a battle is when you hit on 14 but you could've hit on a 11.

Remove ads