• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You reap what you sow - GSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voadam

Legend
Orcus said:
Hey, not so fast. We are still doing 4E products.

I just likely wont port over our Tome of Horrors to 4E because of the provisions of the license. We WILL do a 4E monster book, though.

Clark

Sorry to put extra words in your mouth. I extrapolated too far from your statement in the OGF thread that Tome will no way be 4e under the current GSL but to expect a possible announcement about a full color PF one soon. My mistake.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Maybe I am too long on this board, but I never saw an OGL Logo "slapped" onto this site.

The terms of the OGL don't require that a logo be slapped on the site; they do require that the site link to the OGL.

RC

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Orcus said:
There are tons of products that use monsters from the Tome of Horrors. Heck, we put instructions in the back of the book to help people reuse the content to encourage its reuse. Paizo used them. Goodman used them. Lots of people used them.

Personally, I have about two dozen products that use OGC from Tome of Horrors.

Easily one of the best books on any OGL-based author's shelf.

Voadam

Legend
Raven Crowking said:
The terms of the OGL don't require that a logo be slapped on the site; they do require that the site link to the OGL.

RC

If it uses the OGL.

I don't believe ENWorld uses the OGL.

EN Publishing products do, but not ENWorld.

For instance PCs created for pbp games here are not a mix of PI and OGC, they are just D&D stats put up on a website.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Voadam said:
If it uses the OGL.

I don't believe ENWorld uses the OGL.

EN Publishing products do, but not ENWorld.

For instance PCs created for pbp games here are not a mix of PI and OGC, they are just D&D stats put up on a website.

Yah, I'm pretty sure ENWorld always has and always will fall under WotC's fan-site policies.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
But I bet free stuff mostly falls under the "fan usage," and you will still have generators for 4e characters if the WotC offerings aren't robust enough for some folks. I don't think WotC is so insecure about their offerings that they NEED them to be the ONLY ONES in existence, but I do think they don't want folks muddying the waters and competing with what they see to be one of their big cash cows in 4e.

And yet, oddly enough, this is one of the things specified in the GSL, isn't it? No outside character creation software. I suggest an experiment: set up a site with free 4e character generation software and see what WotC does.

I suspect that you will receive a cease-and-desist notice as soon as they become aware of your site.

RC

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
And yet, oddly enough, this is one of the things specified in the GSL, isn't it? No outside character creation software. I suggest an experiment: set up a site with free 4e character generation software and see what WotC does.

I suspect that you will receive a cease-and-desist notice as soon as they become aware of your site.

If I had the ability and capacity to do that, I'd take you up on your little wager. :)

The GSL is meant to be something for professional publishers to adhere to, not, I believe, something to stop fan activity. If I'm wrong, let a WotC person let the world know, and I'll cop to it. :)

Darrin Drader

Explorer
philreed said:
Personally, I have about two dozen products that use OGC from Tome of Horrors.

Easily one of the best books on any OGL-based author's shelf.

Whenever I designed a 3rd party adventure, the three Tome of Horror books were always the first place I looked for monsters after the SRD. Why reinvent the wheel if a suitable monster already existed and was completely open?

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Let's see what I used...

Some feats from Green Ronin, and some weapon stats reprinted with permission.
Insanity rules from Bad-Axe Games, modified to fit the setting, with permission.
All kinds of stuff from RPGObjects, some of it modified to fit the setting. With permission.
Some stuff Darrin Drader gave me, used with permission.
Modified stuff from a few other people, all credited in the Sec 15.

But then d20 Modern is a smaller group, so maybe we're just more prone to say: "Hey, you made that, I could use it, can I use it?" than the D&D group, which is a lot bigger.

Psion

Adventurer
Warlord Ralts said:
But then d20 Modern is a smaller group, so maybe we're just more prone to say: "Hey, you made that, I could use it, can I use it?" than the D&D group, which is a lot bigger.

Yeah, I notice that D20 Modern had a lot more of the open community vibe going, and noticed a lot more of the "share and share alike" vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads