• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E your 4E game is set...

In the last 24 months, I have DMed or played 4E in (pick ALL that apply)

• Poll closed .

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Mythic/ fantasy real-world geography. The level 15 party is in drow tunnels under the Irish Sea; the new level 2 party has just landed in the new Halfling port village of Ponce, Puerto Rico. (Halfling merchant houses fill the Borgia/ Medici niche, and they are latecomers to the colonization of the Americas; their arrival was made possible after the level 15 party burned the (Drakkoth) Spanish Armada, ending the Drakkoth stranglehold on the strait of Gibraltar).

Ran an altearth D&D game for many, many years. Its where the "Terra" in TerraDave came from.

Somewhere in my sig (bonus) is a link to (part of ) the 3E version of it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am running FrogGodGames' Slumbering Tsar in 4e. It's a pathfinder mini-campaign by the old Necromancer Games' guys and it's awesome. It's a nice 4e sandbox with lots of wiggle room and I am having a good time converting it.

I also ran Scales of War up to about 9th level, but the game took a hiatus due to bad schedules and such.

Did a little WotBS online and some Gamma World as well.

In reply to this one the other on PF, I wondered how many would be converting over. And how easy it is?

4E monsters are pretty easy to adjust, any other issues?

the Jester

Legend
Nentir Vale and Darksun a little, by virtue of running some Encounters.

All 'real' games I've been involved with (i.e. campaign games) have been in my homebrewed world of Cydra.

Ryujin

Legend
In reply to this one the other on PF, I wondered how many would be converting over. And how easy it is?

If I remember the couple that I was involved in accurately (Crimson Throne and Runelords), it would involve removal of a fair bit of railroading, leaps of faith, and putting important information into locations where it can be easily found.

catsclaw227

First Post

My biggest challenges so far are with environmental effects and such. The first part of the campaign is spent in a rather large sandbox (figuratively and literally) and there are some stuff I am making hazards and skill challenges (like bone storms, or surviving an outburst of acid rain).

I have had to convert some typically 3.x/PF solo monster encounters into group encounters but managing the fluff on that isn't difficult.

We're only a few sessions in, and I was thinking of blogging about the conversion experience, so maybe I'll get a quick wordpress site up and go for it.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
It is interesting DL/krynn has still to get a single vote after the poll on WOTC's site had a very strong DL result.

Of course I know neither poll has any accuracy at all, but it is interesting.

Where you ask a question has a dramatic effect on the outcome. The same question asked here and on WotC's boards can yield different results.

Oh, and Dragonlance has that single vote now. I mainly play online these days, but I run one 4e DL game and play in another.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Here's running a 4e game in Monte Cook's Ptolus setting, using a mixture of converted Ptolus adventures, Ptolusified 4e material and homebrew stuff.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
With a few more votes...

Homebrew 84 59.15%
Default: Nentir Vale 60 42.25%
Darksun 36 25.35%
Realms PoL/4E 31 21.83%
Eberron 29 20.42%
Gamma World (with some D&D bits/charecters) 16 11.27%
Default: Planar 12 8.45%
Greyhawk/Oerth 12 8.45%
War of the Burning Sky setting 10 7.04%
Other previously published by TSR or WotC 10 7.04%
Pathfinder AP setting 7 4.93%
Realms Classic or other 6 4.23%
Planescape/Great Wheel Planar 6 4.23%
Other previously published by 3rd party 6 4.23%
Other currently published by 3rd party 2 1.41%
DL/Krynn 1 0.70%

Dragonlance is the only real surprise here. Though I also expected "planar" to do better, given the amount that it is mentioned. This also confirms the strong reception for Darksun.

Question to anyone who reads this: does having something in print or current have any influance on what you are running?

Presumably, darksun would barely register if it wasn't for the official support.

Remove ads