Your DDI Account Status

What is the status of your DDI subscription?

• I have an account and will continue to subscribe.

Votes: 106 47.5%
  • I had an account but canceled even before they announced the web based CB.

Votes: 25 11.2%
  • I had an account and decided to cancel it when they announced the web based CB.

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • I had an account but have decided to cancel it after trying the web based CB.

Votes: 29 13.0%
  • I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB, but will no longer be subscribing.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB and will be getting a full subscription now.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I was using another persons subscription and will now be getting my own subscription.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was using another persons subscription and will not be subscribing.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I was not subscribed, but will be starting a subscription or have started one recently.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I am not a DDI subscriber and have no plans to subscribe.

Votes: 19 8.5%

JeffB

Legend
How about

Cancelled about a year ago cos the online rags got pretty not so useful (in particular Dungeon) and no plans for the VTT. Now I may re-sub because of the VTT.

MonkLover

First Post
Holdin the line for now

I signed up for a yearly subscription basis in the 2nd week of Sept., so forknow I will hold the line aand see how things pan out over the year and will decide in the week prior to my subscription running out if I will continue my subscription or terminate it based on my feelings on their performance over the comming year. I will how ever not stop playing my belovid game because of anything WotC does or does not do, I may may not purchase any more of their products if I am not happy with them, I can write or find stuff online that I will be happy with if need be, to continue my games, I still have and write stuff for 2nd Edition, even though no one but me seems interested in ity in my neck of the woods, right now I am plasying a 4E campaign house ruled (rules light) so that it feels very much like 2E ( more role than roll play). No matter what WotC does, it will only affect my game as much as I deside to allow it too!;)

Badwe

First Post
"I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB and will be getting a full subscription now."

"I was using another persons subscription and will now be getting my own subscription. "

I think it's telling that these are ZERO. If going on-line only was meant to reduce 'dipping' (subscribing for one month now and then to update CB) and piracy and capture the theoretical revenue being lost, that's not a good indicator of success.

aside from the standard caveats about voluntary polls, i mentioned in my post that all of my players were piggy-backing off my account. They're still not going to add a sub but i think it's safe to say most people who were previously content to share a subscription don't frequent enworld. in fact i'm not sure many people who are exclusively players are here, it's mostly DMs.

Mirtek

Hero
I was in my second year of continuously subscription but immediately canceled the auto-renew upon the first news of a "new" upcoming web-based tool.

I immediately feared that they were going to fix their "mistake" of ever giving us the CB and now want to take it back.

I thought to re-activate auto-renew if I were proven wrong, but I wasn't.
If they are so worried about pirating of their products and have such a problem with the inability to make a secure, uncopyable pdf, why do they continue with Dungeon and Dragon in pdf format?:erm:
I would be surprised if they are still releasing these in PDF in a year from now.

CovertOps

First Post
"I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB and will be getting a full subscription now."

"I was using another persons subscription and will now be getting my own subscription. "

I think it's telling that these are ZERO. If going on-line only was meant to reduce 'dipping' (subscribing for one month now and then to update CB) and piracy and capture the theoretical revenue being lost, that's not a good indicator of success.

I don't think this is the kind of piracy they were going after. I've seen posted elsewhere that you can download a hacked version of CB with full features and WotC doesn't get a dime. In the new web based scenario you have to hack their servers to get access. Also the (annoyingly low) 20 character limit per account promotes the idea that either:
1) A DM can share their account for a single group (I personally have about 10-15 players with varying levels of showing up for the game each time) OR
2) You force your players to have their own account and storage OR
3) You make the character(s) and export them (once the feature is available). This method now gives a file that is useless to the player without an account and thus encourages either 1 or 2.

aside from the standard caveats about voluntary polls, i mentioned in my post that all of my players were piggy-backing off my account. They're still not going to add a sub but i think it's safe to say most people who were previously content to share a subscription don't frequent enworld. in fact i'm not sure many people who are exclusively players are here, it's mostly DMs.
What they need is a "player" level account with CB only access that costs less (I won't speculate on a pricing structure, just less than the current "full subscription" at each option point - monthly, quarterly, yearly). This way DMs aren't penalized by "paying more" because they get more content for their $$. This type of account should also get "player only" access to the VT (when functional).

Badwe

First Post
they either need to make a "player level" or some sort of premium level where i can share with my friends short of completely duplicating a subscription. So many D&D games are built on the fact that different people are willing/able to make different levels of monetary investment in the game. With red box they solved the problem of people who were not sure what they wanted to buy, but they haven't solved the problem that some people who are new or lapsed are simply not going to spend money on the game. Despite this, they need to enable people like me to spend the money instead and invite those people in, where perhaps months down the road they start looking at things like PHBs. This is the model that many of these online free-to-play games use: people invest more willingly after they've had a chance to see if the game is worth investing in with little or no risk.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
I've been a subscriber since release, and I'm going to try to cancel at the end of the month; I want to grab this last issue of the magazines before I end things. I'm not really sure why that is, since I only ever use the feats (after they've been added to the now-dead CB) and the art galleries, but it seems a waste to jump ship halfway through the month.

Either way, I have no use for an online-only character builder, and don't especially care about the VTT.

Dumnbunny

Explorer
But, you've inadvertantly highlighted a contradiction of WotC. If they are so worried about pirating of their products and have such a problem with the inability to make a secure, uncopyable pdf, why do they continue with Dungeon and Dragon in pdf format?:erm:
Give them time, give them time ...

Remove ads