• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your experiences with PBP?

Masquerade

First Post
I find PBP far more fulfilling than my face-to-face and virtual tabletop games have been. When they last, that is. The problem with PBPs is that they usually don't last. Still, I wouldn't discourage you for trying, but don't expect every PBP to work out. Occasionally, all the pieces fall into place and you get a great, lasting game out of it, but, more often, things slow down after the first month and stop altogether after about six.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Thanks for the advice everyone. Hehe, I have some ideas bouncing around in my head now. I just need to figure out if I really want to do a PBP or not.:)

Pinotage

Explorer
Thanks for the advice everyone. Hehe, I have some ideas bouncing around in my head now. I just need to figure out if I really want to do a PBP or not.:)

When you do get around to running one, ask around here for advice again. Some people have loads of good advice on how to run good PBP games, and in particular how to keep a good balance between RP/story and combat that actually works. Good luck!

Storminator

First Post
My PBeM has been going on for just over 9 years now. It's been very, very slow in the past year. That's all my fault.

My first bit of advice is to get great players. I invited specific people to my game. The only random person I added was the woman that had read all 200 pages (that's the compiled posts) of the story up to that point.

Second, is have the DM do all the rolling. I never wait for a d20. If you read the posts of my game, you can barely see any game mechanics at all. My players describe the cool attacks they make, and I respond in initiative order. Since I take a lot of control of the game mechanics, I make sure to give my players the benefit of the doubt and direct their characters in the most favorable manner.

Since my game is via email (and not on a message board), I compile every player's post into my own email as quotes, then add the new stuff in. That keeps everything well organized.

Finally, I suggest compiling everything into a word doc as you go. I went back after the fact and compiled the first 5 chapters. Then I got tired of doing that, and the next 7 chapters are still not compiled. Then I realized I could just start writing my posts in word and cut and paste them into the email (duh! only took 5 years to figure that out...) and the rest of the game is put together.

Good luck!

PS

Agamon

Adventurer
Would people here recommend a system that is more rules-lite for a PBP game? I am wondering if a rules-lite game would be easier to run in a PBP format.:hmm:

I would say yes. Chunky rules don't seem to fit really well, honestly. The game is the most fun when the rules are non-existent, or at least invisible.

Not to say interactive storytelling is the way to go, you need some rules that go beyond the whim of the GM, but the less, the better, IMO.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I find PbP to be great for running 4e tactically. All you need to do is make a few logical concessions on initiative and giving the PC's basuic stats so they can determine their

The game only seems to go painfully slow when people get out of combat and start trying to have conversations. Real RP is conversational, so I think PbP is horribly awkward to RP in.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I would say yes. Chunky rules don't seem to fit really well, honestly. The game is the most fun when the rules are non-existent, or at least invisible.

Not to say interactive storytelling is the way to go, you need some rules that go beyond the whim of the GM, but the less, the better, IMO.

I have done Interactive Storytelling type RPs on other forums. It was fun, but I found myself wishing for SOME kind of ruleset to adjudicate things.:)

Remove ads