• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite older edition products

Aaron2

Explorer
1) None. They were all pretty crappy. Gun to my head: Gods, Demi-Gods and Heroes
2) Keep on the Borderlands
3) Tie: Village of Homlet and Fiend Folio
4) Aurora's Whole Realm Catalog.

Aaron

diaglo

Adventurer
Psion said:
Er, were there supplements?

fortunately and unfortunately yes.

Monster & Treasure Assortments lvls 1-3, 4-6, 7-9. and the 1-9

also character sheets
and then... AC1, 2, 3,.... The Shady Dragon Inn, et al

and then the Gazetteers...

and the 2 Trail Maps
and... MYstara stuff.... yadda, yadda, yadda

Psion

Adventurer
Oops. Forgot about the Gazeteers and Shady Dragon.

Shady Dragon made for some a nice bar map and a few NPCs made it into the campaign. The heartstone crap was ... crap.

Gazeteers. A lot of good stuff. Minrothad Guilds and Shadow Elves were both good. I need to pick up some other PDFs... I only had about 4 of those.

Henry

Autoexreginated
OD&D - never played it.

Basic - Moldvay edition - would have to be Keep on the Borderlands. Heck, I re-read it this morning!

1st edition - Unearthed Arcana.

2nd - Ruins of Myth Drannor. FINALLY got to see the place!

3rd - Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Just that and the three cores, and you are set.

3.5 - Tossup between Eberron and Expanded Psi Handbook. Only time will tell for certain.

Iuz

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
1) Your favorite OD&D supplement (such as they were)

2) Your favorite Basic D&D supplement (and ID which Basic set it was for, if you know)

3) Your favorite 1E AD&D supplement

4) Your favorite 2E AD&D supplement

1. Null

2. The Isle of Dread

3. Unearthed Arcana

4. Castle Greyhawk

Meadred

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Okay, I know we've recently had a "Best D&D product ever" thread. This isn't quite the same thing.

If you'd be so kind, please list:

2) Your favorite Basic D&D supplement (and ID which Basic set it was for, if you know)

Core rulebooks are not elligible. If you didn't play a given edition, feel free to ignore that entry.

Note that this doesn't have to be "the best" supplement. Don't worry about whether it accomplished a specific goal, or was well put together. I want to know your favorite--the one you got the most game use out of, or enjoyed reading/playing the most, or what have you. I'd also love to know why it was your favorite, if you're so inclined.

Thanks.

1) I didn't play OD&D - was too young.

2) B10 Night's Dark Terror - an excellent adventure by TSR's UK branch. They did some really awesome stuff!

3) This is shared by two modules: I6 Ravenloft - the original adventure; had two of my characters killed there, but still loved it. Also, U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh - have some really fond memories of this. I have used both modules for several iterations of D&D and some other RPGs too.

4) Dark Sun - it was evocative and innovative, a brand new way to play AD&D for me and my gaming group.

Oh, those were the days... :)

Cheers,
Meadred

MetalBard

First Post
Careful... 2e fan lurking

Okay, can't answer the first three because I started playing D&D in 1993.

As for my favorite 2nd edition product... it's tough. I think it would have to be the Planescape Boxed Set with the Forgotten Realms boxed campaign setting running a close second. The FR boxed set was my first D&D product ever (before the core rulebooks actually) and it really sucked me into the setting and story of a D&D campaign setting before I had any idea on how the rules worked. The Planescape boxed set was a renewal and a strengthening of that feeling when it came out.

I guess I'd give Domains of Dread, the last 2nd edition Ravenloft campaign setting, third place on that running because it was much like the other two in its effect on me.

diaglo said:
B1 In Search of the Unknown from 2eD&D Holmes Basic if modules don't count then i'll have to go with Monsters & Treasure Assortment lvls 1-3 from the same edition.

Modules do, indeed, count. It's only primary core books I'm excluding. :)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:

1) Didn't play

2) A tie between B2 The Keep on the Borderlands and B4 The Lost City

3) Oriental Adventures, Unearthed Arcana, the original FRCS.

4) Planescape

Mouseferatu said:
Before my time

Mouseferatu said:
B2 Keep on the Borderlands-played & DMed this adventure more times that I can remember (Moldvey basic set)

Mouseferatu said:
Tie between Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (new monsters & magic items galore!) and Unearthed Arcana (new classes, new weapons, new spells, new everything!)

Mouseferatu said:
Complete Thief's Handbook-the only supplement I bought besides the core books, then stopped playing because I didn't like what TSR did with AD&D. So I don't know if it's really a favorite, but it's the only thing I ever used, and I did have fun with one of the kits.

Remove ads