• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favourite version of the Doctor Who theme....

sabrinathecat

Explorer
TV movie theme orchestral? More like "Casio".
But then, the whole TV movie was like a cheap, knock-off, wannabe show than a serious attempt to recreate/reimage/reboot/continue the show.

MarkB

Legend
Back when I was a kid and my brother and I owned one vinyl record player between us, we used to own a soundtrack covers album call Star Wars and Other Space Themes by Geoff Love and his Orchestra. Some of the themes weren't all that true to the source material, and some weren't particularly good (though nowhere near as cringeworthy as the album of Disco-fied soundtracks he also produced - I've had fun torturing my players with the Star Wars theme from that one during a SWSE campaign).

My favourite, though, and one which I still enjoy, was his rendering of the Doctor Who theme.

[video=youtube;bFOkMoLI-PU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFOkMoLI-PU[/video]

Last edited:

TV movie theme orchestral? More like "Casio".
But then, the whole TV movie was like a cheap, knock-off, wannabe show than a serious attempt to recreate/reimage/reboot/continue the show.

I thought it was pretty good myself, It left me wanting to see more, its a shame Paul Mcgann was never really given a chance. And really I thought the half-human thing made sense, explained why the Doctor has such a fascination with Earth when hes got the whole universe to explore.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Back when I was a kid and my brother and I owned one vinyl record player between us, we used to own a soundtrack covers album call Star Wars and Other Space Themes by Geoff Love and his Orchestra.

I had that! I've being trying to remember who it was for years. I simply couldn't rememeber, until you just said his name.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I thought it was pretty good myself, It left me wanting to see more, its a shame Paul Mcgann was never really given a chance. And really I thought the half-human thing made sense, explained why the Doctor has such a fascination with Earth when hes got the whole universe to explore.
The half-human angle was abandoned, but other than that, McGann has had a good run of adventures through Big Finish Productions. He names half of his companions in the 50th Anniversary minisode than lands him on Karn.
If you haven't already, I very much recommend going through Big Finish's lines of stories. There have been only a few that I did not enjoy. Colin Baker gets to play the Doctor the way he wanted, instead of the way JNT forced onto him. McCoy and Aldred got good stories. All around, it is an extremely good set up, and much better than NuWho has been for the last few years.

MarkB

Legend
I had that! I've being trying to remember who it was for years. I simply couldn't rememeber, until you just said his name.

Yeah, it's a real nostalgia piece. I'd long since mislaid the vinyl (and couldn't have played it if I had it) when I came across the album re-issued on CD whilst browsing soundtracks in HMV about six years ago. It had the aforementioned disco album included with it, which really isn't good for anything except a giggle, but the original album still has its charms.

Because the idea of the thread being diverted into... that conversation.... yet again.... makes me want to tear my eyes out!

Sorry, sorry, I didnt meant to start anything, its just I posted in haste, I just read the thread title and posted the TV movie theme.It wasnt until afterwards that I read the rules about it cant be an "official" theme, and I was just amused that no one corrected me on it, lol.

Remove ads