• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your first tabletop character.

Istayfrosti

First Post
So i did this video detailing my thoughts on my first character, and i just wanted to hear your answers on how it was to create your first character. Feel free to reply to this or even pm me, i just want to hear your guy's stories because i know they're interesting. Anyway, thanks for reading, i look forward to your replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First PC ever?

There were 2: a human fighter with a 2 handed sword and an elf fighter with a spear, both inspired by Ral Partha minis I bought when prepping for my first game of AD&D. I decided to play the human. My PC and the party wizard were the last survivors of a largish party in a game run in the library of East Middle School in Aurora, CO in 1977 or 78. We died, one room from the dungeon's exit, facing a Purple Worm.

Long story short- the wizard was engulfed on a Nat 20 after using his last magic missile and whacking the thing more successfully with his staff than I had with my sword at that point. However, the dice then turned in my favor, and soon the 2 of us were facing each other at 4hp each. Initiative was simultaneous...

I missed, he hit.

My PC died, but I was hooked!

Last edited:

Istayfrosti

First Post
my first character

I can't post the video link so i'll just type mine out.
I started with AD&d on an online game and i was told i needed to make a character that had a reason to be in exile.
So i came up with Leot Extris, real name Leo Hoaz, a peasant farmer boy with a penchant for telling tales. After fooling around with the sheriff's daughter he gets exiled and winds up in a party that's goal is to clear Rappun Athuk. In the end, he was ambushed while sleeping and the GM hit just a few to many nat 20's.

CSwizzy

First Post
I was talked into giving AD&D a shot and I rolled up a Ninja from the Complete Ninja's Handbook and got boosted to lvl 9 to fit in with the rest of the party. I really had no idea what I was doing and played him like a fighter (oops). First combat we got into was with a group of evil mercenaries that our DM made to be a pain in our side that would show up from time to time. I went running in after their thief only to have a Priest of Cyric ambush me and cast Harm on me, and I died.... lol. Lucky for me I was resurrected at the end of that combat (party had to port away, with my dead body in tow) and that was the first time I put a mark in my Number's of Deaths box. I ended up with 5 marks in that box by the end of that campaign, lmao.

We ended up killing that priest and the Necromancer in our party reanimated the priest's hand and it became a pet for me.

Damn, I miss that character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can't remember my first character. I was young - maybe single digits of age - and my eldest brother brought Tunnels and Trolls to his younger brothers and their friends to play.

Some years later, he brought the (1e) AD&D PHB and DMG home from college as X-mas presents for us. I remember my first character there well enough. Still have that sheet, even.

herrozerro

First Post
My first PC was Malon Aetherwind, an elf playing in my friend Brian's game. She was a bit of a Rapunzel living with her father sequestered away from the world. After running away she was captured by slavers and started her adventuring days.

The game didn't last long, about 8 or so sessions, but the character lasted long afterwards becoming one of my go to NPCs.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm with Umbran - can't remember my first character. What I remember is the neighbor kids, the die rolling, and the character sheet that had lots of mysterious markings on it. The mystery: what will it be like when this collection of stats becomes a character?

Here I am, decades later. My new characters in my homebrew RPG have fewer stats and fewer rules, but what used to be the mystery of the markings is now the mystery of what's -between- the markings: what will this character be like when he comes to life?

My first character was a dwarven paladin ... with horrible stats. But he was so much fun to play. For the most part, everyone at the table was new to the game and we had so many mis-adventures in our questing. Frequently finding ourselves needing some mundane equipment, losing the artifact we were supposed to be getting to safety, a cleric whose dice were cursed (couldn't roll above a 5!) and just some all out great times roleplaying at the table. I still consider it one of my favorite games played.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Evenglare Valenstar created back in 00 with 3rd edition. He was a High elf Cleric (at this point he's usually a paladin), his brother Evenglade is a Druid (sometimes a ranger). Usually Evenglare is a person of huge elaborate high elven cities, while Evenglade (as you would expect) is a person of solitude and the wilderness. Being brothers they have back and forth between civilization and nature, religion and nature, etc etc. There are sometimes when I have Evenglare be a human raised by high elves, and some other common themes but normally those are the basis of my characters I have played for about 15 years or so now. Actually these characters were conceived in Everquest to be completely truthful, but they were also my first proper tabletop characters.

Remove ads