• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Most Fun Item

Well, the party rather liked the defective item I gave out once:

Longsword +3 (when there was IIRC only one +2 weapon in the group.) Intelligent but much more friendly than intelligent items typically are. It had an absolute hatred for level-drainers, though, and would force combat with them as well as being -3 when fighting them. I was amazed they made no effort to get rid of it when they discovered this problem.

It finally met it's end when they were after a succubus. (Never mind that she can't drain in combat, she's still a level drainer and provoked the sword's wrath.) This was back in the 1E era with fumbles and I had a table of what happened on a fumble--unbeknownst to the party I applied the -3 to the table as well, the sword would fumble much worse than usual in combat with level drainers.

They are fighting through a doorway and the guy with the sword manages to fumble sending the sword into the room with her. She realizes it's a powerful weapon and picks it up--and proceeds to blow the top off the fumble table with her first swing.

I decide she managed to crit on herself and the sword is stuck in her. She's had enough and flees--but doesn't make it. Her corpse goes into a river of lava.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I recall a DM who gave out a masochistic blade in 1e. It had good bonuses to hit, on the first round, but after that all it wanted to do was parry. (i.e. fight full defensive in later editions). It loved starting fights, but only so it could get hit.

Marshall Gatten

First Post
Rakusia's Schrodinger's Bag reminded me of a fun one I threw into a game once. The PCs came across a black featureless cube, two feet to a side. It functioned like a bag of holding, but only for living animals. Any animal you could fit through the top surface would disappear into an extradimensional space. Anything else you tried to put in wouldn't penetrate the box at all. Every morning, all the animals stored in the box would come out. They were unsure what to do with it, but imagined it had some potential and so kept it around, kind of mystified by what the heck I was playing at with it.

Then one day they put some cats into it and the next morning finally realized it was S
chrodingers Box when all the cats emerged. They discovered that any cat you store in the box comes back out as a very pissed off, radioactive undead cat.

Ragmon

Explorer
Hat of Disguise - It got the title of "why-do-you-even-ask-yes-its banned", cause I had yo assassinate the whole team, yes the DM ordered it, the hat was my get out of jail free card. Ever since the great TPK of 2009 im forbidden or anyone for that matter from buying/using Hat of Disguise. Fun times.

Empirate

First Post
Yeah, the Hat of Disguise is probably among the most abusable of low to mid level items. I gave one out for starting wealth once and regretted it for the rest of the campaign.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Back in 1e/2e I had a wizard that had a long coat made with a hundred pockets in it, just so he could cast Deep Pockets on it. (That was the base spell for Bag of Holding back then.)

It was made with pockets in the front, pockets in the back, pockets on the inside, pockets on the outside, pockets on the sleeves, pockets in the pockets, pockets everywhere.

The "pockets in the pockets" part was a problem, according to the DM. Or an opportunity, from his point of view. There was a Boggle (what we called a "Blue Gunky" at the time) who fell in love with it. Boggles can create doorways through space in 1e/2e, any time they have an opening. To him my coat looked like a hundred room mansion, with space twisted into a sort of multi-dimensional habitrail. He moved in. And re-arranged things, all the time.

And since his ability included the capacity to pick pockets at a hundred feet, I'd occasionally find things in there that I had never put inside.

On top of this, my character, recognizing that this coat was an incredibly tempting target for pickpockets, cast Magic Mouthon each and every one of the pockets so they'd snarl and snap at anyone who attempted unauthorized access. (The spell said if the target item had a mouth like opening, it would animate to mouth the words of the message.)

Someone other than my character made it permanent, and they included the Magic Mouth spells.

Came the day an Aerial Servant came looking for Irving (the Boggle) over a stolen chess set. The scene was interesting, to say the least. A skinny Elven Wizard in a long blue coat walking calmly through town towards the Court Wizard's tower, chess set in hand, while the Aerial Servant chased Irving from pocket to pocket, while the coat barked, snarled and snapped at it constantly. If you've ever seen a Chuck Jones cartoon, they you're probably getting the same visual that we had at that table.

Nobody in that town ever questioned what they'd seen. They didn't want to know. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads