D&D General Your thoughts on another of my GM's plans for Secrets of The Slave Lord, this time for The Dukes nephew he hopes our Pcs will save

JMISBEST

Explorer
My GM has come up with yet another idea for Secrets of The Slave Lord, when we do it, this time for The Dukes nephew he hopes our Pcs will save, and trust me we will

In Secrets of The Slavers Stockade The Dukes Nephew that The Pcs rescue is referred to as being young enough to count as A Child and its likely that he's around the age of 13 and is smart enough, nice enough and kind enough to be able to give minor help to a child that's around the age of 4, the adventure doesn't actually say if the child's male or female but since every other child in the cell is male its very likely that the child that The Duke's Nephew is helping is also male

In my opinion its guaranteed that the kid he helped is A Commoner, its likely that he comes from A Working Class family and for all The Duke's Nephew knows the kid he's helping may be 1 of the few that's actually was A Slave before he or she was snatched rather then having been illegally made A Slave, The Kid isn't but The Duke's Nephew doesn't know that

So my GM is thinking that he should give both The Duke and his brother/his nephews father, A Big enough family that the kid/the dukes nephew, will never inherit, after all this will allow The Pc to influence his father to help A Child that despite only being 13 and being held prisoner by Slavers that intended to sell him he still found it himself to help A Kid that was definitely A Commoner, that likely came from A Working Class family and for all he knew could have been 1 of the few that's actually was A Slave before he or she was snatched rather then having been illegally made A Slave, The Kid isn't but The Duke's Nephew doesn't know that

But if I agree then The Country my character will 1 day rule could have a few small Baronies that comes with The Title of Minor Baron or Baroness that were created with the intent that if A Noble, even A Forgein 1, that has a big enough family that he or she is guaranteed to never inherit does something then he or she could be rewarded with a small Barony that come with The Title of Minor Baron or Baroness

Naturally The roughly 12 to 14 year old nephew of A Duke giving give minor help to a child that's around the age of 4 to 6 that's likely A Commoner and for all The Duke's Nephew knows the kid may be 1 of the few that's actually was A Slave rather then having been illegally made A Slave, The Kid isn't but The Duke's Nephew doesn't know, definitely qualifies

I know that the roughly 12 to 14 year old is the nephew of A Duke but if he's got enough people between him and the families title or titles, and I've heard enough about The GM to know that this will happen, that he'll never get anywhere near the title of Duke

This means that in all likelihood he'll just shrug his shoulders and think "rulership of A Small Barony that comes with The Title of Minor Baron is nothing compared to my uncles title but its still a good title and since theirs enough people between me and the families Dukedom to ensure that I'll never be Duke being made A Minor Baron and being granted rulership of A Small Barony is better then almost any other offer I'm ever likely to get"

Oofta

Legend
When I DM it's very open. I have things happening, various factions and power struggles. But after the first intro session or two to get people familiarized with what's going on it's up to the players what they do. Typically they follow the most obvious threads, but it can be just as interesting when they don't.

But I have to ask: what's your question? Are you just venting? Hoping to give you DM some feedback?

aco175

Legend
Who really cares about the 4yo 'legal' slave if he is a commoner. Is a slave considered a commoner or just a slave in your world? It is certainly right to rescue all the slaves in the pen and bring all to safety. If the 14yo nephew noble 'illegal' slave is rescued, then he should help get the others to safety.

Am I reading the thread right in that you think you should give the 14yo a barony someday for helping take care of the 4yo commoner? Wouldn't doing the right thing be reward for being freed from slavery. The 14yo would have to do something pretty big to be gifted an estate, like save the PCs life or divulge the secret of ending the slavers and killing the BBEG. Just being freed and babysitting does not make the cut.

JMISBEST

Explorer
Who really cares about the 4yo 'legal' slave if he is a commoner. Is a slave considered a commoner or just a slave in your world? It is certainly right to rescue all the slaves in the pen and bring all to safety. If the 14yo nephew noble 'illegal' slave is rescued, then he should help get the others to safety.

Am I reading the thread right in that you think you should give the 14yo a barony someday for helping take care of the 4yo commoner? Wouldn't doing the right thing be reward for being freed from slavery. The 14yo would have to do something pretty big to be gifted an estate, like save the PCs life or divulge the secret of ending the slavers and killing the BBEG. Just being freed and babysitting does not make the cut.
I didn't say he was a 4 year old slave, I said that The 14 year old Nephew of A Duke helped A 4 year old that for all he knew could have been A Legal Slave, he wasn't but the Duke's Nephew didn't know that

As for why give The 14 year old A Barony theirs 4 reasons. 1 is to impress his new brother in law/the kids uncle, the 2nd is to impress The Future Kings/my characters, new Wife/the kids cousin, the 3rd is that he may only be A 14 year old that will never get his uncles title but he's already proven that he's got the potential to be a far better leader then some people that are triple his age and the 4th is that in the event of civil war their will be at least 1 noble that is guaranteed to side with him

aco175

Legend
I didn't say he was a 4 year old slave, I said that The 14 year old Nephew of A Duke helped A 4 year old that for all he knew could have been A Legal Slave, he wasn't but the Duke's Nephew didn't know that
So, the 14yo was helping the 4yo whether or not he was a legal or illegal slave. And that makes him worthy of giving a barony to? Is there a penalty for aiding a legal slave? Are slaves normal in that game world? Why is there a difference to helping one or the other?

As far as bringing more nobles from that family into your fold, you may want to make sure they are on your side before giving them more power. The more power they have, the more that may want the throne, although if your new wife gives you a baby, then the family gets the throne one day.

Remove ads