• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your Top 3 Pieces of Art in the Monster Manual

Bad Fox

First Post
The 5th ed. Monster Manual is a book that just works for me. It's fun to flip through it, then stop to read entries that catch your eye. Naturally, a big part of that is the artwork.

Now, while I do find some of the art distinctly "meh," there is a ton of great stuff in there. At the very least, I think it's fair to say that there's enough variation that anyone should be able to find a few pieces that stand out for them.

As an excuse to flip through the MM again, I decided to pick out three of my favourites.

• Harpy: (pg. 181) a great representation of a classic monster. It's a very humanoid-looking representation, but somehow feels like it's more of a beast.
  • Maniticore: (pg. 213) this piece ticks all the boxes for a manticore, but manages to look totally unique. On top of that, it has a really cohesive appearance for something that's essentially a collection of mismatched parts.
  • Pseudodragon: (pg. 254) I like this one because it's not just a good piece of art, but also because it sets a simple, interesting scene.

This little exercise ended up being tougher than expected, but I was determined to not put up a bloated laundry list of beautiful monster illustrations. I wanted to keep it to three, and somehow managed to stick to that.

Hmm. I don't even know that I necessarily ended up listing my three favourites - rather, they're three of my favourites.

What are your's?

Last edited:

Salamandyr

Adventurer
The Glabrezu, because it just dominates the page.

The Kua Toa because he looks like a party guy getting pumped for a kegger

The Kobold for having a more defined and manly physique than any of the men in the Player's Handbook.

Lanliss

Explorer
Werewolf, because that guy does not look like he could give less of a Damn about being attacked by a ravenous were beast. (EDIT: I meant the Lycanthrope section, with the half-page picture.)

Next, I would have to say the Intellect devoured, because it just seems hilarious to hear so many horror stories about what they have done to a party, when it is literally just a brain with legs.

Lastly, I would say Homunculus, because it looks like a living and thinking creature, the kind I would enjoy having a conversation with were it my familiar.

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I like the Dragon Turtle, the Lycanthrope pg. art on 206, and the Myconids full full page art on 231...and a few others (revenant, shadow, etc), mostly because these creatures are all depicted in an environment or doing an action that defines them more interestingly than just seeing the monster alone on a page.

I like the Dragon Turtle, the Lycanthrope pg. art on 206, and the Myconids full full page art on 231...and a few others (revenant, shadow, etc), mostly because these creatures are all depicted in an environment or doing an action that defines them more interestingly than just seeing the monster alone on a page.

I definitely agree with the dragon turtle, it's a very dynamic work - everyone who looks at it knows that in about 10 seconds things are going to go very badly for the people on that boat. It's definitely an example of a picture being worth a thousand words...

As for the others - I don't know, there are so many in there that it might be faster to pick out the ones that aren't good. 5e really hit it out of the park for the art in all three of the core books...

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Narrowing this down to three will be tough.

OK, here goes:

Centaur - they made the centaur actually look like a savage, which is what the flavor text always suggested, but the illustrations always looked very, I don't know, Renaissance? The 5e illustration suggests a new interpretation of the classic monster for me, and you'll notice that this will be a recurring theme here.

I'll cast another vote for the Harpy - the illustration is extremely emotive, and suggests a depth to the monster that I had not previously considered.

Ogre - the 5e illustration makes the ogre look bestial and scary; something I hadn't see before. Ogres have always been one of my favorite monsters, but I tend (ironically enough) to play them more civilized. The 5e illustration demonstrates to me what true savagery lies in the heart s of these creatures.

And I can't just stop there, sorry, so honorable mentions go to:

Myconids (the full page picture with two of them) - somehow they managed to make mushroom people look badass

Wight - a monster I have never used in 20 years of gaming, but the illustration made think "what the $%#@ is that?" and begin imagining ways to work them into my campaign.

I'd kick in a least favorite too, and that's the thri-kreen. Thri-kreen was the race of the first D&D character I ever played, and a huge part of the appeal was their alien, insect-like form. The WotC-era "humans in cheap rubber costumes" look just totally wrecks them for me, and makes them just another unnecessary monster guy. Sad.

Agree that the Yugoloth art is great.

Double-agree that artist attributions should have been included with each picture so you could see who's work it is.

Tomorrow I am going to bite the bullet and take Richard Baker's advice and phone WotC support to ask Kate Irwin who the artists were. Somthing I have been fairly nervous about.

Remove ads