• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E You're the CEO of PAIZO. Now What?

Kafen

First Post
What's wrong with the way we are currently doing things? :)

Nothing in terms of the effort, I'm one of the long time PCGEN fans. So, I know the data sets are a huge issue at any give time. I was one of the people that waited a long time for my PF books to get to me, too. So, it's just whinging in general. :) More of a fun poke, no offense intended.

I would explore the convergence of technology and table top gaming to see what the nature/future of RPGs are. For example:

• The move towards a more computer/graphic centric tabletop gaming experience and how the next evolution of pathfinder will place itself in this context.

• The usefulness/sucess of character builder/monster builder. The possible development of applications that will advance this concept and make designing and GMing easier.

• Continue focusing on core values and products and quality. Ensure that these, along with the company vision/ mission statement is never compromised.

• Address the long term issue of an aging game base and how to make gaming, as a form of entertainment, more relevant to today's generations.

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
If I was CEO of Pazio, I would give Mr. Mona a tap in his office of damn good beer of his choice.
I would also slow down the releases so not full up the market with alot books of my setting.
I would make a AP or two of getting PCs to the other side of the world.
I would then make a setting book to come out at GenCon 11 for the new setting
I would be working on Epic Level rules that do not feel wooky.
I would then take a month off to visit the islands.

TirionAnthion

First Post
I'm a little late to the party but I thought I would weigh in here with my 2 cents worth.

I enjoy the writing in the Adventure Paths, I feel that they are well done with interesting stories. That said, I generally cherry pick the adventures. Very rarely do I pick up an entire path. I work in a gamestore, a fact that allows me the luxury of reading the APs thoroughly before I decide to buy them or not. I also generally wait until an AP is finished before I buy any of the parts.

I thing the idea of collected hardcovers is nice, but ultimately they are probably not viable. On one hand, they allow for the oppurtunity to revisit the material and shore up weak spots. On the other hand, a portion of your customer base will most likely feel like they are being punished for buying the individual APs as the hardcovers may have some tweaked or revised content.

I heartily agree with the idea of focused rules supplements. A good modular system for managing a kingdom, or even just a small fiefdom, would be very welcome. This is also the kind of material that can be fairly edition nuetral and a much easier sell to just about anyone. Material focused on organizations such as religions or perhaps thieves guilds are also a good avenue.

The most valuable asset for Paizo, in my opinion, is a strong core of writers who do a great job of providing flavorful material. I think that focusing on the fluff is definately the strength of the Paizo team.

Finally I think that maintaining close ties to the community, something that Paizo does well, is another powerful asset for the company. Paizo does a good job of addressing the needs of its customer base and making themselves accessible to the fans.

Ultimately, I would probably change very little, as overall, I think that Paizo is doing a very good job.

Is it any better than IGNORING the reasons the ACTUAL PAIZO CEO has for not supporting your edition of choice? Paizo seems to be doing very well NOT supporting 4E. But a couple of people who want to break that formula because they want Paizo to "support the game that they like" is less of an issue?
When the game in question is the current edition of the world's best-selling RPG, that enters into the equation.

Dice4Hire

First Post
No, it would be a bad idea for Paizo to try. In the absolute best-case scenario, as soon as they became a noticable threat, WotC would just buy them out and kill their IP. As someone who doesn't find 4e to be to his taste, I'm very glad for the alternative.

Paizo can only be bought out by force if they are publicly traded.

If privately held (which I believe they are) you need to talk to the owners who also work for /are the company

It is not so simple as you make it wound.

frog

Explorer
If I were the CEO of Paizo I would help Necromancer Games finish out the Slumbering Tsar series...but that is because I am a completest and REALLY want those things published so that I can buy them. I mean sheesh...they are almost complete as it is...just takes a little "push" to get them over the finish line...

frog

Explorer
On a more serious note, I have enjoyed most everything that I have picked up from Paizo. Some of their "darker" things push the limit for my group, but I can "self edit" for me and my players.

Looking back over products that I have enjoyed from other eras, I think a Gazetteer series (like the old Known World) series would be neat. The Pathfinder Companion series seems to be trying to fill that niche...but for some reason it just doesn't quite hit that same sweet spot for me yet. Maybe it's "rose colored glasses" that are affecting me as I think back on the Known World Gazetteers. I may have to break them out and reread them to see.

Perhaps some shorter paths for varied levels that can be linked (or not) like the old GDQ series.

Remove ads