ZEITGEIST Preview: The Skyseer Theme (4E & PFRPG)

Kvantum

First Post
Don't know if I love the Pathfinder version or hate it. It seems almost designed with Golarion deities (specifically, Desna) already in mind even as it's for a completely different setting.
I am a bit concerned that augury 1/day (on average, allowing for sleepless nights and interrupting random encounters) may not be balanced for a lot of games, but if the setting supports it, and the campaign is built with it in mind, it could work.

Rugult

On Call GM
Don't know if I love the Pathfinder version or hate it. It seems almost designed with Golarion deities (specifically, Desna) already in mind even as it's for a completely different setting.
I am a bit concerned that augury 1/day (on average, allowing for sleepless nights and interrupting random encounters) may not be balanced for a lot of games, but if the setting supports it, and the campaign is built with it in mind, it could work.

The concept of the 'theme feats' is that they really aren't supposed to be balanced with basic feats or other class abilities. Obviously, the power to cast a 2nd level spell without the need of the 50gp material components can be seen as overpowered when compared to the existing abilities for Pathfinder. In reverse, if members of the party do not select the Skyseer theme and go for something else, they can still fill in this gap through normal means.

The hope is that each Theme Feat is comparable in power level. Hopefully this will make more sense once the full player's guide is released and you get to see the full list of theme feats.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's correct. A theme feat is equal to other theme feats, not to regular feats. Every player will have one.

Kvantum

First Post
That's correct. A theme feat is equal to other theme feats, not to regular feats. Every player will have one.
Well, as long as the setting supports it, and the campaign's balance scale is designed around it, it can certainly work.

That's a "can", though, not a "will". Just something to keep an eye on, and make sure things still work well under PF mechanics as well as thematically and with 4e rules.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I like that he MUST use the rolled result from the encounter power. Prevents the abuse that Dice of Auspicious Fortune generate.
How does this benefit the characters?

If it's a high roll, that's good and the PC will use it.

If it's a low roll, the PC won't use it.

Am I missing something? :hmm:

Rugult

On Call GM
How does this benefit the characters?

If it's a high roll, that's good and the PC will use it.

If it's a low roll, the PC won't use it.

Am I missing something? :hmm:

The point behind the mechanic is likely to give the player foresight into the effectiveness of your action. Thus, if you know that your next roll with ability X is going to be a 1, you'll likely try out a different ability.

It also means that you can plan on when to use up your 'bad roll' and maybe do it in a round where it won't be crippling to fail.

Just some thoughts... :cool:

Remove ads