Zombie Survival Horror

SentryGun

First Post
Year of the Zombie

I have bene running a Year of the Zombie game campaign for several months now.

The game started as a one shot, using the Independence Day Massacre as a start. The players approached the game with the usual d20, been there, done that attitude, and were nearly decimated.

After that they insisted that the game turn into a campaign, which has now taken on a survivor/rebuilding theme, as the players are nursing a group of 396 survivors at a massive hydroelectric dam near where we play.

I joke with them that the game has become Farmer the RPG, as they spent 2 hours last game talking about crops and feeding these people through the winter.

I added an element of conspiracy that is scattered through YoTZ, complete with some hidden bunkers, and the MAD computer systems clicking over to automatic and launching nukes. I haven't brought the total war aspect into the game yet, but the players will run into russian or chinese troops shortly, more as a another team of organized survivors, or raiders, etc...

Game really has brought out the team work in the players, mostly because it is so deadly. I have 3 players who have been in it from the start, and use the survivors as a base to draw new PCs, and players who are sporadic. At any rate, they warn the new players to take it easy, and not play D&D with guns, but they hardly ever listen. The experienced group runs into a group of zombies hanging around an old hanger, they use silence weapons, and long range to take them out. The new player takes an old S-10 pickup, and backs it into a group of 6 zombies!!! So, he is working on a new character the game this week, a martial artist master. To quote on the other players - "Martial artist...cool. Leave your gear here this time, so we can at least remember you by your stuff."

Anyway, rambling aside, the players are working more like a team then any other game I have done, mostly due to the dangerous setting of YoTZ. I have had moments where the PCs have gone...Frack, that is disturbing. Also my game has gotten to the point where zombies are bad, but there at least predictable. When the lights go out, and the toliet paper runs out, that is when people get insane, and I have been pushing that in the game.

Lots of information out there about Rwanda, Somalia, and the like to pick elements out, thrown in some zombies, and you have a good game. I don't think you could go wrong picking up Year of the Zombie.

Tetsubo

First Post
I'm not familiar with the YoTZ product. Does it use a "disease vector" type of zombie, i. e. you must be attacked by a zombie to become a zombie? Or is it more of a Romero "every dead person becomes a zombie" sort of a setting? Do the zombies devour their victims?

Because that has always kind of confused me... if you use the disease vector version... if a zombie kills and eats its victim, where do new zombies come from? Those that are wounded but survive the initial attack? Things wouldn't spread very far or fast with that method...

I'm a big fan of the Romero type of zombie. Slow moving and any dead person gets up and starts looking for dinner...

C. Baize

First Post
exile said:
Alright, I'm sold on YoTZ. Has it ever been released in print via typical gaming stores in the US?

Chad

I've heard a rumor that it's been printed.
Okay... it's not a rumor...
The publisher told me it's been printed.
I'm just still hoping to score a comp copy. ;)

C. Baize

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I'm not familiar with the YoTZ product. Does it use a "disease vector" type of zombie, i. e. you must be attacked by a zombie to become a zombie? Or is it more of a Romero "every dead person becomes a zombie" sort of a setting? Do the zombies devour their victims?

Because that has always kind of confused me... if you use the disease vector version... if a zombie kills and eats its victim, where do new zombies come from? Those that are wounded but survive the initial attack? Things wouldn't spread very far or fast with that method...

I'm a big fan of the Romero type of zombie. Slow moving and any dead person gets up and starts looking for dinner...

If your character dies in YotZ, and his/her brain is not destroyed, they're gonna get back up and hungrily go for what ever living person they see first. Whether it's death from a gunshot, knifewound, zombie bite, lethal slip and fall, auto-accident... whatever.
That having been said, the zombie condition is never explained in the product. It was done that way on purpose. That's up to individual GMs to explain. In other words, if you want it to be a military experiment gone wrong, so be it. If you want it to be a fledgling necromancer who screwed up, also so be it. If you want Hell to be full, and the dead are walking... hey... so be it. ;)
If you're looking for ideas for the how/why of it.... well shoot... we can have a whole thread on just tossing ideas back and forth.
Nice thing about YotZ, though... there are several different kinds of zombies, and several different conditions for zombies... like... if zombies get the scent of living flesh, they might frenzy and such. There are shamblers, sprinters, trained zombies, walkers, enhanced memory zombies... and the worst of the bunch in the game Ralts ran... Wolf Packs. Packs of kids who quickly went full on feral just to survive, and because of how some adults treated them just after the rising started.

Warning, though...
Year of the Zombie is not for everyone... It's brutal, and it could be used as a scholarly treatise on how communities and people would be likely to act during and after the fall of civilization as we know it. And that includes some very dark aspects of the human psyche. And the fact that some of the worst of the worst of the world's bastards might survive through brutality and set up survivor enclaves of the worst kind.
But they sure make good enemies for a moral group. ;)
Straight up BAD GUYS who aren't even zombies.

Tetsubo said:

In Resident Evil, the virus was carried to Raccoon City by rats. Presumably you could get it either from fleas or by being bitten by rats, not just fighting zombies.

Some animals that get infected turn into ... things, but apparently rats are at least partially immune. (Maybe they die, but not immediately, and I never saw any rat zombies.)

hobgoblin

First Post
hmm, makes me think of the black plague...

as for bad guys that are not zombies. playing around with how the human mind works can create some very interesting enemys, and make the players question what we realy are at the same time...

hmm, ill probably grab the dead tree version if it ever shows up in a local shop...

Remove ads