• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Zombies!

slobo777

First Post
Yay for the simple fix to the zombie, making it a viable monster again, and with a thematic cool ability. Gives me hope for further good changes over time in the play test.

Anyone else spotted fixes to monsters, good or bad?

Raith5

Adventurer
Dark Acolytes can now cast Cure light wounds and attack on their round. I wonder if this is where they see the cleric spell (and perhaps all healing) going?

They have cut down the number of spells that the various cultists have as well.

FireLance

Legend
Armor Piercing has been re-named Bruiser, deals bludgeoning damage, and now triggers if the attack roll is at least a 5 (no change to the fighter's Glancing Blow, though). The Minotaur has lost it and the Human Berserker (surprisingly) has it now.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Goblins have lost Dirty Fighting and gained Bushwacker (adv on higher init in 1st rd) and Sneaky (hide without action).

Not bad, but I liked Dirty Fighting and the shifting ability from 4E.

I am currently writing up 5 different tribes and may use different traits (or a combo) for different tribes) ;).

I mentioned my hatred for the Drow poison mechanics (and the implications for lack of unified condition mechanics therein) in the other thread so I'll try to stay positive and name off what I see that I like. I'm still very lukewarm regarding the monsters overall (and I expect to be even in the final iteration...that is how good 4e monsters are/were to me). Unlike my typical, wordy diatribes, I'll keep it simple and not expound. In this iteration I like the following monster abilities:

Stealthy
Mob Tactics
Passive Threat
(Incite) Blood Frenzy
Bushwhacker
Sneaky
Bruiser
Relentless
Zombie Fortitude

All good stuff there.

Bad: Bugbears are more dangerous that ogres, since they deal similar damage but can be encountered in larger numbers since they are a level 2 monster.

Also: Why does the Gauntlets of Ogre Power award STR 19, but the Ogre only have STR 18? Does and Ogre have to wear magical Gauntlets of Ogre Power to have Real Ogre Power (tm)?

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I really like the Zombie Fortitude trait and think it fit them well. It makes me want to run a Zombie Apocalypse encounter next session :)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Yay for the simple fix to the zombie, making it a viable monster again, and with a thematic cool ability. Gives me hope for further good changes over time in the play test.

Anyone else spotted fixes to monsters, good or bad?

I like the new Mob tactics rule too. Gaining up to +5 on attacks really makes a swarm of rats, or bunch of Kobolds more frightening.

"Get them off of me!!!!!"

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I also like that Mob Tactic now cap at +5 as opposed to be unlimited like it previously was. With Bounded Accuracy its probably better like this.

Remove ads