Sean's Picks of the Week (0215-0219) - Savage x3, CoD Demons, and Bundle Filling Goodness!

Many of you know that I am now a Brand Manager for Pinnacle Entertainment Group, the home of Savage Worlds, Deadlands, Rippers, and the impending Savage Rifts. I mention that here, for those who may not know, as a fair disclaimer - I have a distinct bias regarding Savage Worlds products. I try not to show it too much most weeks, though it's more than fair to say that Savage Worlds is a hugely popular and ubiquitous game system that warrants significant coverage. This week, that bias definitely shone through as three of the five Picks are Savage. All, I truly believe, are worth your time, but I promise to try not to do this too much in the future and keep the spread a bit more diverse. Please don't miss the awesome "Complete Your Bundle" sale notice at the end, as it's over in a few days.

Many of you know that I am now a Brand Manager for Pinnacle Entertainment Group, the home of Savage Worlds, Deadlands, Rippers, and the impending Savage Rifts. I mention that here, for those who may not know, as a fair disclaimer - I have a distinct bias regarding Savage Worlds products. I try not to show it too much most weeks, though it's more than fair to say that Savage Worlds is a hugely popular and ubiquitous game system that warrants significant coverage. This week, that bias definitely shone through as three of the five Picks are Savage. All, I truly believe, are worth your time, but I promise to try not to do this too much in the future and keep the spread a bit more diverse. Please don't miss the awesome "Complete Your Bundle" sale notice at the end, as it's over in a few days.

Shaintar Guidebook: Shaya’ Nor

Savage Mojo and Darren Pearce continue pouring out fantastic new content for the epic high fantasy setting that I created, Shaintar. This is one of the more anticipated books, not only because it delves into the subtly complex and unexpected society of the nation ruled by the forces of Darkness, but for the capacity to play one of the enigmatic and surprising shayakar, who live their lives drawn through Shadow into Darkness.

Shaya’Nor. This guidebook will teach you the history of the one-time Dwarven kingdom that is now home to the Corrupted Fae, Vainar the Wise and his Necrolords. The Dark Church is the only religion and all must show their belief or suffer a horrible fate. The undead serve in various roles with zombies tilling fields and hauling cargo and Vampires sitting atop the food chain…er, society.

Leave your superstitions at home and find the beauty within this bleak country. The Shayakeim are the lords and masters of the land, ruling over the Terraheim and the other races are little better than serfs. Amongst the horror a few lights shine. The Starwatchers are a strange and rebelious cult or perhaps powerful prophets who may be the key to Shaya’Nor’s salvation. Politics here are deadly serious and death isn’t the worst thing that can happen to you. Within these pages you’ll find everything you need to create a character from Shaya’Nor. New racial and professional edges provide for interesting role playing options and GMs will find the history very revealing. There’s even some secrets revealed.

Rippers Resurrected

This is going to be one of the biggest years ever for Pinnacle and Savage Worlds, and fans have a lot to be excited about. There’s so much going on, I wanted to be certain you realized just how much stuff is out for fans of the Rippers setting now! All that Kickstarted goodness is now up on the digital shelves!

Of course, with all that just now up and available, here comes Weird War I (and here’s a cool freebie, the Gas Terror, as a preview for this latest Savage Setting)!

AFTER THE CABAL, A NEW EVIL RISES…

Three years ago, Johann Van Helsing led the Rippers—an ancient organization dedicated to fighting evil—against the forces of the diabolical Cabal. At great cost to life, limb, and reason…they won. But in 1895 a new evil stirs in the dark of night, straining at the walls of its eternal prison. Its fiendish servants comb the globe, seeking a way to free their master and consume the world with shadows. Only the Rippers stand against them. But to triumph they must face their oldest nemeses…and their deepest fears!

Accursed: Frost and Fang

This week is starting off pretty Savage, I will admit. This is a great new release from Melior Via, featuring the work of my friend and Evil Beagle Games partner, Ross Watson. Return to the Accursed land of Morden to learn much more of the world…

Valkenholm’s history began as a colony of Steppengrad, but they soon outgrew the Tsar and his Grafs. Ever since it became independent, the two nations have maintained a strong rivalry. In the wake of the Bane War, both countries struggle to survive. Their homes were the core battlefront. Their land was devestated and countless lives lost. Now, they soldier on under the tyranny of the Blood Witch and Baba Yaga.

Frost and Fang provides additional information about the nations of Steppengrad and Valkenholm within Accursed’s setting of Morden. It includes a broad range of different adventure hooks for GMs and players looking to explore these specific regions. It also introduces new banes as well as Hindrances and Edges specific to these cultures.

Accursed provides additional details about the setting used in this scenario, and is required to fully make use of the game mechanics presented. Savage Worlds and the Savage Worlds Horror Companion are also required.

Demon Storyteller’s Guide

I don’t do much in the way of editorializing here, but today’s Pick is as much a statement about a certain recent interview as it is a solid product that exemplifies the awesome work of Onyx Path Publishing. The interview in question features the man who’s taken over White Wolf, and he had some fairly “interesting” things to say about the work of folks I hold in high regard. Join me in showing support for the folks who’ve been carrying the torch into the Darkness all this time.

Does the mouse in the maze think:

“Today I shall try a different route. Go left instead of right. Chew through a wall. Refuse to run.”?

Does it? I think not.

I think the mouse runs because it only knows the maze. It follows the corridors like a charge following a circuit.

It knows all routes lead to the same end.

You know it, too. You left, but you’ll come back. This is your end”.

– The Triptych, Messenger Angel

The Demon Storyteller’s Guide includes:

• Expanded information on angels, including a look at how Incarnations apply to them
  • A extensive look at the spy genre and its permutations and how they apply to Demon
  • Three “setting hacks,” including an examination of Demon in the Bronze Age

Note: This is the Advance PDF and we will be collecting errata and correcting the PDF and preparing the Print On Demand versions afterwards. Purchasers of the Advance PDF will automatically get the final version of the PDF added to their Library.

The PoD version will be available soon, and purchasers of the Advance PDF will receive a discount on the print version equal to the PDF+PoD combo discount.

Complete Your Bundle Sale

This is by far one of the more interesting promotions DriveThruRPG‘s pulled off in a long while. I’ll let Scott Holden, who brings you the DriveThruRPG Newsletter every week, explain it for you –

You may have noticed a new banner on our site this week for the “Complete Your Collection” promotion. If you haven’t seen it, or if you’re not sure what it’s all about, let me break it down!

Until next Thursday, February 25, if you already own at least one title from any participating bundle on our store, you can buy any other title in that bundle for its bundle price rather than its usual store price. To put it another way, you can “finish off” any participating bundle without having to buy duplicate copies of titles you already own.

So go ahead: Complete Your Collection on thousands of bundled titles and product lines, all this week!

~~~~~

Some of you might find it odd (I hope not off-putting) that I took one of my Picks as a chance to make some commentary about a recent interview of the new lead storyteller for the White Wolf line of products. One of the things, however, that we who work in this industry cherish is the sense of camaraderie and mutual support we all share. There's not a ton of money in this for any of us - even massive Kickstarters with huge success and dollars don't result in the kind of financial well-being you might think, and the average writer, designer, artist, or publisher does fair-to-middlin at best.

We do this for the love, more than anything, and we enjoy being part of a community that stands shoulder-to-shoulder in mutual support even when we're directly competing for customers and purchases. When someone who steps in as a part of us then takes to a public platform and uses it to unprofessionally express lack of support and disrespect for the efforts of those who've worked for years on something... yeah, it was hard to read, and I could not go without showing my support and respect for my colleagues at Onyx Path Publishing. Besides, that's a killer book worth a serious look by any Chronicles of Darkness fan.

Savage Star Wars tonight! #TheInterestedParties at another NRW event tomorrow night! Modern Gods: The Lighthouse on Sunday! Always more action and excitement and gaming, because...

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Dire Bare

Legend
Would be curious to read (or listen to) the interview. Linky?

I haven't played World of Darkness for a long time, and I've never played Chronicles of Darkness (even back when it was World of Darkness 2) . . . but I am eagerly awaiting my Deluxe Mage 20 hardback from Onyx Path, and I've always felt they do good work.

Vonotar

First Post
I can't post a link, but I believe the interview in question was posted on the Imagonem website on February 15th.

Near the end of interview is the following quote, in response to a question about where the old White Wolf Publishing went wrong:
The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy.

It doesn't seem like a stretch to conclude that the new creative director of White Wolf views using the WoD as urban fantasy (which is how I always used it) as badwrongfun. I can definitely see how this can be construed as insulting to all of the people who worked on the oWoD.

Granted, this interview may have been in Swedish, so maybe something was lost in translation... but that's a lot of assumptions that need to be made to make the new White Wolf seem less pretentious.

Dire Bare

Legend
I can't post a link, but I believe the interview in question was posted on the Imagonem website on February 15th.

It doesn't seem like a stretch to conclude that the new creative director of White Wolf views using the WoD as urban fantasy (which is how I always used it) as badwrongfun. I can definitely see how this can be construed as insulting to all of the people who worked on the oWoD.

Granted, this interview may have been in Swedish, so maybe something was lost in translation... but that's a lot of assumptions that need to be made to make the new White Wolf seem less pretentious.

Yeah, that comes off as strong. I mean, if the new White Wolf guy thinks the previous management/authors made some bad choices, that's fair . . . but the language used feels unnecessarily insulting to me also. But, hopefully, as you said, something's been lost (or gained) in the translation from Swedish.

Not all the choices made my the old White Wolf team floated my boat either, but armchair quarterbacking at this stage of the game is ridiculous. And from, essentially, a business partner/successor . . . very bad form. And of course, just because you might not care for something, doesn't mean it's crap. Just means you don't care for those choices.

Vonotar

First Post
It's my understanding that this new guy was very active in the Vampire LARP scene, so I don't doubt that he has strong views on the subject. Of course, even if you think you know better, it's not very professional to come out and actually say that the way that he did. As you said, it just seems like a bad business practice.

I haven't followed this too closely since I haven't played any WoD lines in years now, so there might be others here who can provide more insight.

Benji

First Post
Yeah, reading that interview hasn't made me want to pick up their new line. Saying that a fantasy element was bad (Did they read changeling? Did they understand it's beauty?) Suggesting we have to buy new books to understand the 'truth' (I made my own truth for those settings years ago, thanks) Saying goth-punk is dead and buried while calling the old games nostalgia titles (The game is of and about the ninties to me. It was born from that zietgiest. Yeah it might be dated, but so are 60's style supers games - they're pretty popular too) that so generic elevator pitch and the bit where he tells us what the best games are like it's a truth rather than his own experiences (For example: I am regarded by my groups as the go to guy for WOD and so can assume I'm good at it, I set one world of darkness game in my hometown. For my players is spoiled the mystique, made the darkness less believable. I have never used a 'real world event' but have used 'real world crimes' as inspiration. His assumptions are not universal).

I also loved onyx path's work. Not A Nwod player (Sorry Cod) but I got what they were doing and liked the idea.

Anyway as someone who owns upwards of 100 Original World Of Darkness titles (my fanboy love is tragic and sad) I'm gonna take some convincing now to buy one product. Apparently I'm having badwrongfun and I'm not the sort of person who should be playing in the NNWod.

Rant much? Sorry.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads