D&D 3E/3.5 Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved mixed with 3.5.

Lela

First Post
Here's a subject that's probably been discussed at incredible length* (but that's not unusual here) but I'm looking for the pitfalls of allowing these two systems to mix.

Currently, I have a game in which both systems exist. Long story short is that a small 3.5 plane crash landed into an Arcana world. Much havick with the (re)appearance of gods and dragons (which fit nicely into AE when it came out).

The game's been running for a year now, with in game, storyline, reasons to keep the worlds seperate (heck, a Greenbond can't even use mithral). It's always been my intention to break that rule using the PCs as a driving force. Now they're coming up on that achievment and I'm looking to reexplore the ramifications (good and bad).

So, thoughts?

*Links to old threads accepted and encoraged ;)

bolie

First Post
I am planning on mixing the two, as well. I'm going to have refugees from an AE world set up a kingdom on a predominantly 3.5 world. My rule will be that races and classes can be freely mixed, but AE-style spellcasters and 3.5 spellcasters use slightly different paradigms, so the casting doesn't mix. A 3.5 spellcaster, though, can add an AE spell to his spellbook and vice versa, though the spell may need to be modified slightly and not all spells will translate.

I am still considering using AE style spellcasting for everyone, though. I'm not sure how I'd handle the Divine/Arcane distinction if I do, though.

Stalker0

Legend
First I'd consider that all 3.5 spells should be exotic spells for AEers.

Clerics are a big power compared to AE casters. You can heal real damage at 1st level?!! Wow, you can heal ability damage with a 2nd level spell!!

Also consider the implications of a paladin...who apparantely can dictate that a person is truly evil.

Dwarves and giants....does the old racial hatred kick in?

Would akashics suddenly started getting collective memories of a whole new world?

Lela

First Post
I normally don't get involved in my own threads but. . .

Stalker0 said:
First I'd consider that all 3.5 spells should be exotic spells for AEers.Clerics are a big power compared to AE casters. You can heal real damage at 1st level?!! Wow, you can heal ability damage with a 2nd level spell!!

That's a good idea. What about the other way around? Being able to change the energy type of your fireball at will has to have some effect.

I was mostly considering having the two systems seperate. Druids and Greenbonds crossing would be like Druids and Clerics. Just different. My only concern comes with Feats like Spell Focus and Eldritch Training.

Stalker0 said:
Also consider the implications of a paladin...who apparantely can dictate that a person is truly evil.

Still working on some semblence of something to make this one work. Fortunitally, Paladins and Blackguards are extremely rare in my game (to the point of being a PrC and beyond). Which won't help anyone else, I admit.

Stalker0 said:
Dwarves and giants....does the old racial hatred kick in?

I figure it'll take some working out but, assuming no major calamities or interferance, they'll eventually friendship up. They're really similar when you get down to it. The AC bonus will still apply of course--same body type and fighting style.

Stalker0 said:
Would akashics suddenly started getting collective memories of a whole new world?

I was planning no. For now I had it so that AU/AE went to the Akashic mind while 3.5 hung out with the gods. That'll have to change somewhat when multiclassing is allowed in. Suggestions?

Remove ads