Need opinions on Dungeon Bash!

Emiricol

I can see by the flood of replies that it is a super popular product :) That kind of tells me what I need to know anyway...

JoeBlank

Explorer
I don't think the lack of replies provides you with enough info to judge whether this will be a good game for you and your 8 year old. Let's keep bumping this thread every week or so until we run across someone who has played the game. I may spring for the the $10 myself once baseball season is over for my 7 year old.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Sorry for the delay... but this thread somehow passed under my radar (and I haven't been on the board as often as I'd want to lately).

Anyway, the first three customer reviews are available at the Dungeon Bash (DB) product page at RPGNow.com - go check them out here.
Btw, all of them are 5/5 stars :D

Emiricol said:
I can see by the flood of replies that it is a super popular product :) That kind of tells me what I need to know anyway...

Uh, it's #5 on this month's top sales at RPGNow.com, and it's DB second month already. And it's a "Popular Pick".
So yes, it is "super popular" :p
But it can't be as popular as (for example) the latest WotC release, so no wonder there aren't that many replies to this thread.

How fast does it play?

I'd say reasonably fast. Some of the new mechanics - like the dungeon generator - has been designed with speed in mind, and some old mechanics - like the DMG treasure tables - have been revised to make them faster.
But it's hard to say how long a single dungeon crawl will take, as that depends on many circumstances (quest, dungeon, encounters, ...).

Is it suitable for 1 PC?

Suitable for 1 PC? Not really, sorry. Although you could tailor the encounter tables.
Nice idea for a web enhancement, though :)

Would it work for introducing an intelligent 8 year old to gaming?

I'd say DB is perfect as an introduction to roleplaying, as it uses most of the rules but not much of the "esoteric" side of roleplay.
So far I've heard from one person who has played DB with his whole family, including a 9 year old. They all enjoyed the experience (or so I'm told)

Any other questions? :cool:

Emiricol

Well, don't get too defensive :) Non-D20 products get more valid discussion than this did, and this is a D20 product on a D20 forum. I just expected more than the zero answers I got before you saw this (other than other people looking for info and Diaglo forgetting all about it hehe)

Thank you, though, for taking the time to answer my questions. Considering the reviews at RPG Now, and what you've said, I will probably talk myself into trying this out at some point. A solo-play web enhancement would definitely elevate the value for me for what I'd mostly use it for though.

Do you think it'd merge well with a damage save such as BlueRose's mechanics? I might be able to make it more 1-player friendly that way (have to wait and see though).

Thanks,

-Emiricol

Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
Emiricol said:
Well, don't get too defensive :) Non-D20 products get more valid discussion than this did, and this is a D20 product on a D20 forum. I just expected more than the zero answers I got before you saw this (other than other people looking for info and Diaglo forgetting all about it hehe)

You're right, but consider the size of TOGC. Granted, our various card products made some big waves, but that's it - most people won't have heard of DB.
And another thing to consider: Most people on this board will stay away from anything labeled "hack'n'slash" - even though DB isn't supposed to replace their regular RPG sessions...
It's a save bet to say that most - if not all - of the customers so far aren't ENWorld regulars.

Still defensive, eh? Well, I never said I wasn't :p
Sorry for that.

Oh, and never mind Diaglo - he was making a joke (quickie, nooner, more into the longer sessions...). And yes, it wasn't very funny ;)

Thank you, though, for taking the time to answer my questions. Considering the reviews at RPG Now, and what you've said, I will probably talk myself into trying this out at some point. A solo-play web enhancement would definitely elevate the value for me for what I'd mostly use it for though.

Or I'll add it to the product - there's already a chapter named "solo play" (meaning: one or more players with a total of four characters, but no GM), and it'd fit nicely in there. An update is coming anyway in the near future, because I'm adding cards (as an alternative to the various tables).

And Dungeon Bash will grow even further - I'm currently working on the first web enhancement (Goblinoid adventures: new quests, new NPCs, alternative encounter tables, more goblinoids with class levels, and more), and there'll be at least one more web enhancement: Drow adventures. Furthermore, there are two expansions planned, taking DB in two new directions: City Adventures (Urban life and adventure, patrons, shops, and more) and Wilderness Adventures (Encounters and whole adventures outside the dungeon, the way to and from the dungeon, adventuring regions, and more).
I guess you can see I'm a fan of my own game ;)

Do you think it'd merge well with a damage save such as BlueRose's mechanics? I might be able to make it more 1-player friendly that way (have to wait and see though).

I see no reason why it shouldn't merge. I'm not familiar with these mechanics though, so I don't know if you'd need new opponent stats (and traps?), but I can't think of anything else that you'd need to change.

Oh, and while I'm here: check out the Dungeon Name Generator (108 kb PDF) to add some flavor to your dungeon crawls - DB or otherwise.

Remove ads