Fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, cajun shrimp...

Quasqueton

First Post
So there was mention of what weapons each PC had. One PC, a knife/kukri fighter has a bandolier with nearly a dozen daggers for throwing. Then someone mentioned that the monk had a bunch of weapons, for a monk.

The monk's Player responded, "I've only got a quarterstaff, a kama, an adamantine handaxe, shurikens (but they're tucked and hidden)...." Then he continued looking on his character sheet, at what was stowed in his bag of holding, "a battering ram, a shovel, some alchemists fire, some holy water, some vials of acid, tangle..."

Then another Player interrupted, "You sound like Bubba Gump*?"

I said, "That's going on EN World."

So, it is.

Quasqueton

*Yes, we know.

VirgilCaine

First Post
I'm a fan of the pack-rat idelology of dungeoneering. Three or four of every alchemical item, some food, water, an extra weapon or two all go in a Heward's Handy Haversack ASAP.

toberane

First Post
I always enjoy first time players who start out by buying a lot of the cheaper items with no thought as to encumberance or how they will carry it all.

12 ten foot poles. 20 torches. 4 nets. Bedroll. Extra blankets. A tent. 6 casks of ale. 6 casks of wine. 12 water skins. 20 candles. 6 sacks (for all the treasure they will pick up along the way). 6 months of rations.

And 1 backpack, no mount (can't afford it, spent all the money on ten foot poles, etc.), and no place to store all the extra equipment. Try to picture it. I dare you. Expecially on a halfling.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
toberane said:
I always enjoy first time players who start out by buying a lot of the cheaper items with no thought as to encumberance or how they will carry it all.

12 ten foot poles. 20 torches. 4 nets. Bedroll. Extra blankets. A tent. 6 casks of ale. 6 casks of wine. 12 water skins. 20 candles. 6 sacks (for all the treasure they will pick up along the way). 6 months of rations.

And 1 backpack, no mount (can't afford it, spent all the money on ten foot poles, etc.), and no place to store all the extra equipment. Try to picture it. I dare you. Expecially on a halfling.

Heh, I had a character in 1st ed. that the other players called the Mule Man... he was the only one to bring pack animals... several of them. Then rented them to the other PCs... (And unlike horses mules are willing to go into caves...) Only a silver a day plus their feed, but they turned a profit.

The Auld Grump

Templetroll

Explorer
toberane said:

There have been minis that showed these types of adventures, but I don't recall the company names. It might have been RalPartha or some older company, but the one I had the pile of gear on his back was more than the height of the adventurer slumped underneath it all.

Mules were one of the best buys for a beginning adventurer. Not only could it carry lots but if you ran out of rations you could always eat the mule!

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I really hate people who try to bring their characters into the dungeon with "malletspace".

My characters have a handful of magic items, one or two weapons, their armor, and whatever tools or components they need for their class abilities. They know where their towel is.

Of course, I'm also the only one in my group that buys normal clothes, jewelry, and journals. I even spend starting gold on a running tab at the local inns and taverns.

snarfoogle

First Post
Collapsible 10 foot poles. Take up very little space but can do all the things a 10 foot pole can. As for mules -- there was a Critical Miss article in Issue 9 about semi-sentient bipedal pack animals, but I can't figure out how to hyperlink on these boards, and certain grandmothers might not approve, so I will leave that to you.

Remove ads