What can be hit and what can't with a Large creature

photon1966

First Post
Hello

I don't know if this has come up before but it has just risen in our game and though we house rulled it I am looking for some clarification.

Situation is medium player cast spell that turns him into a Large creature (Enlarge Person page226 PH) other stuff as well but it's the size thing that is the issue. It says he has a natural reach of 10'. Now I understand he takes up 4 squares and can reach 2 squares around himself. But what happens when the medium foe(s) get past that 10' reach, and yes one or more take an AoO. But can the player attack these targets with his weapon (axe in this case). I thought I had read he couldn't but we house ruled he could at -4 to hit, or he could have used his fist or a small weapon like a dagger which with him enlarged would have been a short sword but I think he still would have been able to use it.

@@@@@ So basicly anything in the @ areas about he has no problem attacking and if
@XXXX@ something should pass through a @ area, even if making an attack it gets
@XCCX@ an AoO. Then once in the X areas C character has difficulty or simple can't
@XCCX@ attack it with his weapon unless a light melee weapon or a natural attack.
@XXXX@ Am I correct, I am not sure but thats why I am posting this here. Are
@@@@@ there specific rules about this one way or the other. If I'm wrong then
I want to fix things and if I'm right I like to show the players the page and move
on from there.

Thanks for any clarifications you might be able to provide.

Corsair

First Post
By rules as written, any creature can strike any other creature they threaten with no penalty. You are unecessarily penalizing large creatures.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
photon1966 said:
It says he has a natural reach of 10'.

Right. There's a difference between natural reach, and reach weapons.

Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.

This is possibly what you were thinking of.

A creature with 10 ft. natural reach, however - like an Enlarged human - can attack any creature 5 ft. or 10 ft. away with no penalty, as long as he isn't using a reach weapon himself.

Just Enlarging a Medium longsword or greatsword doesn't make it a reach weapon, by the way. It just makes it a Large longsword or greatsword.

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
You can hit whatever you want with a large creature - the trick is being able to lift a large creature and use it as a weapon in the first place.

What?

Remove ads