Traps and randomness

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Mark Chance said:
A failed Search check doesn't trigger a trap. It doesn't matter how much you fail the Search check by. The only consequence for failing a Search check is not succeeding with the Search check. So, yes, one can take 20 on a Search check to look for traps.

But here're the catches:

* Only a character with trapfinding can find a trap with a Search DC of 21 or greater. Ranger Dan can have a Search modifier of +30, and he's still going to miss that Search DC 21 pit trap.

* Only a character with trapfinding can find any magical trap.

* It isn't possible to take 20 with Disable Device.

* Only a character with trapfinding can disable a magical trap.

Traps, when sensibly placed and sufficiently detailed, are a great secondary sort of encounter. If you don't want characters taking 20 on Search checks, then either don't use traps or use them in conjunction with aggressive, alert guards. One cannot usually take 20 on a Search check when an ogre is trying to crush one's skull.

Well said, all. :)

ThoughtBubble

First Post
I think some small part of the side topics have come up is theme. There are some factors to consider: how many traps do you want to shoot the heroes, how many do they notice, how many they avoid and what that entails mechanically. All of this says something about the game.

Normally, while in dungeons, I (being the rogue) roll to see if I see anything unless I'm deadly sure that that dangling box is, in fact, a lazer ready to kill us. Then, I'll take 20.

It all depends on what you want out of the traps.

Anyway, an alternate method to changing the way that taking 20 works (something I have problems with, simply because it's creating a special case within the mechanical system) consider adding some chaos to the trap DC's. Maybe this pit trap was made by an expert, gaining a +2, or this one still has some bloodstains nearby giving a -4, or this one is one of the classic 'decapitators' that were talked about in the history books about this place. It helps to add that feeling of variability.

The other way to add chaos is to add other things, light, noise, creatures off doing their things, and so on. Events that change based on player actions gives another layer of randomness, but it's one that you'll have a harder time foreseeing, and, as such, less chance of setting up.

Or.... You could just do that cool method described above.

Voadam

Legend
Staffan said:
So, what do people think? The main disadvantage I see with this is that it will make searching for traps take longer in real time, since you can't just say "I'll take 20 and search it everywhere" - you actually have to roll the dice. On the other hand, dicerolling is fun, so I don't see that as a problem :)

I don't find that kind of dice rolling fun. I prefer the take 10 and get up to a certain DC trap and be done with it method. Then dealing with the trap is the focus, not rolling dice to find the trap.

Remove ads