racial architecture

alsih2o

First Post
i was just working on an adventure in which an orcish tribe is involved and i wondered what their architecture must be like.

we have probably all heard enuf stories about elven tree-villages and gnomish and halfling burrows, but i wonder about the other races....

i would like to hear about any other architecture you folks have come up with for a race- subterranean, aquatic, or plain old above ground.

enuf of the fallback cave!(unless you have a new cave idea you wanna share):)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Ruins, tents, caves and such. Orcs to me move around a lot, from campsite to campsite, they do not have any perment structures other than shrines.

Now Hobgoblins have forts!

Sejs

First Post
call me a sap, but I always liked the orcish architecture from the Warcraft series of games. Hit up blizzard.com and poke around some.

^_^

and on a side note - mmm.. hobgoblin forts. I'm quite happy to say back when I ran more often that my players learned to respect hobgoblin mercenary tribes.

What are orcs like in your campaign? I like timber forts and earthen walls (lined with timber) for a primitive yet effective fort. I could see orcs that are pastoral nomads, with no fortifications at all, but fleeing quickly into the steppes like Huns when outmatched, and perhaps living in great wagons. I can see orcs living in great stone Bronze Age like cities. I can see orcs doing all kinds of things. Depends on the orcs.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
The orcs in my setting are nomadic, but have regular winter camps that several tribes may settle in. The exception being the ones who live in a fallen elven city.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Okay, this is a hijacking. :)

Looks like orcs are nomads to many of us and I was just wondering if they follow herd animals, seasonal move, or if it is something else in your game?

In mine they depeat an area of foes, which to them is a resourse for weapons, food, slaves and such. The pattern is a large circle that can take 100+ years to complete.

What do you do?

LoneWolf23

First Post
Orcs in my campaign don't build anything. They just take over existing structures, move in and start "redecorating" it through vandalism.

So an Orc "base" could be found in any old structure: an abandonned Human Forteress, a Dwarven Mining citadel, an old Cathedral... Heck, even a desecrated Elven keep. Just add a lot of filth all around, some obscene graffiti, and a bit more decay then usual, and there you go...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Extended Hijack

Hand of Evil said:
Okay, this is a hijacking. :)

Looks like orcs are nomads to many of us and I was just wondering if they follow herd animals, seasonal move, or if it is something else in your game?

What do you do?

My Orcs are strictly divided along gender lines (ie Male Orcs are expeled from clans at age 12 - the only exception being the POrc shaman - who are all male transvestites).
The females are nomadic hunters moving across the mountain regions hunting and gathering as they go. The males form mobs that survive by raiding in the lowlands or sometimes by aligning themselves with a powerful 'Master' in exchange for lodgings and guaranteed food. IMC Female Orcs are larger than males (due mainly to better nutrition) and more settled and civilised (but still 'savage').
If a male mob meets a female clan and the females are ready to mate a ritual 'combat' will ensue resulting in ritual 'rape' - orcs also practice this ritual rape during raids on other races - hence the origin of half-orcs.

Remove ads