Boxed Sets

ephemeron

Explorer
It's easier to fit goodies into a boxed set -- poster-sized maps, separate booklets for players and GM's, dice, player handouts, whatnot.

There's also a nostalgia factor. I started out with the red-box Basic Set, so opening a boxed set brings back some of the excitement from when it was all new to me.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Handouts (both player and DM) and poster maps are the best reason to have box sets.

Otherwise, hardback is fine.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
For me it's the nostalgia factor-I just love a RPG that comes in a box. I can't wait for the new Castles & Crusades Basic boxed set that is coming out later this year from Troll Lord. If it's out in time I plan on getting several for Christmas present for several younger players I know.

HelloChristian

First Post
I was looking through my Night below box set the other day. As I was doing so, I was amazed at the volume of material within. Booklets, handouts and even a battle mat filled the box to capacity. I love how much stuff can be put in a box!

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Galeros said:
I was wondering why a lot of people seem to like box sets so much. Any real advantages to them over hardcovers or softcovers?

I can't stand box sets. They take up too much room, and cost far too much.

Treebore

First Post
I love boxed sets, especially when it contains things like the Wilderlands, Aeroth, Rappan Athuk: Reloaded, City of Brass, and the upcoming "Castle whiterock".

Durability? Depends. Were you smart enough to use packing tape around all the corners/edges? If so, 15 years and counting on my older boxes.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Their durability tends to be fine, IME. But then, I am careful with them, as I am with books.

I love them. Sure, I love books too, but box sets are just plain awesome. Not to the point where I'd buy one of no real value to me, but to the point where a choice between two nearly identical items, in book and box format, would always end in me buying the box set version.

Poster maps and a nice-looking place to store them, with the things they're meant to be with. :)

Remove ads