Range of Senses

Banshee16

First Post
I was thinking about the game last night, and in particular, the range of senses in the game. I think that the rules for senses etc. don't work very well.

Take for example, vision. Trying to spot something in the dark gives a +10 to DC if it's in starlight, or +5 if it's in moonlight, I believe. Low-light vision gives a +5 bonus.

Yet the text description of low-light vision mentions that characters with low-light vision can see as well in starlight as a human can see in daylight. Yet the stats don't represent that. To say nothing of the modifiers based on distance.

I would assume that a lvl 1 character, with 0 ranks in Spot, should be able to see something, like a person, standing a fair bit away. Let's say 200'. I know I definitely can, unless they're actively trying to hide.

But isn't the penalty for range something like +2 for every 10'? Thus, if you have a starting DC of 0, at 100' distance, your DC is already a 20. So a lvl 1 character would have a 5% chance to see something 100' away. Have I interpreted those rules incorrectly?

Scent is the other one, and this is what spurred the thinking. In the game, characters with the Scent ability can notice an odor 60' away. If they're downwind from the source of the odor, they can smell it from 120', and if they're upwind, they can smell it from 30'. Several days ago, there was a house fire near my own home. I was at work, which is 10 km from my house, and downwind. I was able to smell the fire from 10 km (let's say 30,000') away. When I raced home to check and make sure everything was ok with my house, which was just a few blocks away (let's say 500') I couldn't smell anything...because I was upwind.

So the range of scents when someone is downwind of the source should be far, far greater than described in the game. And I'm thinking that the range at which scents can be detected should be much greater than it is in the game.

And, on a related note, nobody was hurt in the fire, as the buildings weren't inhabited at the time, from what I understand.

Banshee

Remove ads