Need Help making a Campaign-World Document for Players

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I plan on having a campaign world that is fairly unique compared to standard D&D. So as such I want to right up a word document for the world.

However, I am running into some difficulty, I want this to be a world they really have to explore to understand/know and a world where the truth of things is hidden from view.

That being said though, the PCs are living in a major-city (similar to Victorian London) and are certainly not dumb, and I would like it to be more of a personal account of this world.

How would you recommend going about typing this?

Gwaihir

Explorer
I put out a players guide for each campaign I start. I make sure to specifically list any rule changes that differ from standard as House Rules and I further break down info into History, Organizations, Classes/Races etc. For General information, I try to list stuff that the average citizen of the starting area would know.

I often sprinkle hints throughout.

Sadly my players rarely look at the document after character creation and never seem to really care about what makes a specific world/campaign unique.

I hope your group is more attentive to your creativity.

DwarvenDog

Explorer
Do you consider yourself tech-savvy? I would actually recommend putting together a wiki or a campaign website, rather than a word doc. With a wiki, you have control over managing how content gets added or changed over time. You don't have to print new copies and distribute every time you want to make a change. You don't have to know, in advance, as much detail as you might need to know for a full document. A wiki might give players a chance to contribute to the ongoing world development (adding a prestige class, a new feat, a new organization, etc.)

You could start with only a few sections:
- House Rules
- Character Creation guidelines/options
- Overview of the starting location, what all starting PC's should know.
- World info, religion, campaign map, and other "fluff" that is considered "general world knowledge"

Good Luck!

Clavis

First Post
My advice is to create a 1-2 page document that broadly outlines campaign setting. Don't make it more than can fit on both sides of a single sheet of paper. In my experience, players hate feeling like they have to do homework before they can play. One way to create the player's handout is to think about your campaign setting as if you were writing a review of it. You'll want to focus on the most noticeable and memorable aspects, and leave the rest vague. That's good for you as the DM as well, because you won't be limiting yourself too much ahead of time. Once something is written down, the players will expect it to always be that way, limiting your creative options for adventures.

Here is the Handout I give to players in my campaign:

Player's Guide To Vaozum

In remote antiquity, the world was overrun with the foul spawn of the incomprehensible Outer Gods. This was the Age of Abominations.
10,000 years ago dragons drove the abominations underground and reigned over the cities of the Serpent Men. This was the Age of Serpents.
4000 years ago the the dragons fell mute, the Serpent Men were overthrown, and Giants assumed mastery of Vaozum. Thus began the Age of Giants.
3000 years ago the Giants' empire fell and the human, demi-human, and humanoid races overran Vaozum. Thus began the Age of Invasions.
1000 years ago humanity broke the power of every other race. Thus began the Age of Heroes.
308 years ago the nations of Vaozum were brought together under one Emperor. Thus started the Age of Man

Now the dream of unity is dying. The Empire is beset with rebellion, and the nations are re-asserting their ancient independence. The tyrannical Emperor puts down insurrections with increasing bloodshed. The Wizards fight secret wars against each other. Witches and warlocks defy the Inquisition to work illegal sorcery outside the bonds of the Arcane Covenant. The Imperial Faith that once unified human religions is now wracked by schism and heresy. The humanoid tribes, long ago subdued, are waxing bold and defiant. Long forgotten abominations lurk in the dark corners of the world, and there are rumors that the dead themselves grow restless.

The 13 Realms of The Human Empire

Each Realm possesses its own form of government, but is also overseen by an Imperial Governor.

Acabria - The fog-shrouded kingdom of Acabria is home to large populations of demi-humans, and its human inhabitants are famed for their rugged, self-reliant natures. The megalith-studded homeland of the Druidic faith, it is now under the patronage of the divine Calebur, The Father of Light. Acabrians and Maresites are known to get along very well.

Arigea - Dedicated to the perfection of body and mind through work, the Arigeans are master builders and stonemasons. Their patron is Baraman, Our Lord of Labor, whose will is made known through the Grand Abbot of the Monastery of Sublime Perfection. Arigeans are known to dislike Qoshites and the Nagatese.

Chosa - The theocracy of Chosa consists of dry plains giving way to trackless deserts where many secrets lay buried. Its famously loyal but unkempt inhabitants are renowned for their elaborate funeral rites, and are said to love their dead family members better than their living ones. Fittingly , their patron is Kepteron, King of the Dead.

Cruosia - The crusading warriors of Cruoasia are famous for their piety and skill at arms. The special patron of this constitutional monarchy is Havilt, Prince of the Wind. They tend to dislike Xaruthians on principle.

Diros - It was in the Dirosian city of Mnexos that human Wizardry was first created, and Diros remains the home of magic. The Realm is named after Diros the Divine, First Emperor of Humanity, and its scheming inhabitants are ruled by the High Council of Mages. Aos, the Eye of Infinity and creator of the Universe, is their special patron. Dirosians tend to look down upon Qoshites.

Engasea - The crafty Engaseans are the master sailors, merchants (and thieves) of Vaozum, ranging far and wide in pursuit of profit. They hold Amara, Princess of the Moon, as patroness of their plutocratic republic. The common Imperial tongue is based upon the Engasean language, with generous borrowings from other languages (especially Dirosian).

Latyrea - The intellectual Latyreans choose their leaders at regular Symposiums, where philosophers publicly debate their opinions. Their patroness is Vettysha, the Mouth of Wisdom, and her temples in Latyrea are the greatest schools of Voazum. Latyreans tend to publicly disparage Xarutians (but patronize the Xaruthian pleasure cities all the same).

Lavolea - The clannish, olive-complexioned Lavoleans inhabit the warms subtropical forests of the south. Worshippers of Our Lady of Life, Qualea, their theocratic society prizes the defense of family and fertility above all. Lavoleans generally hate and despise Qoshites.

Nagato - The proud, dark-skinned Nagatese are renowned for their skill at music and dance, as well as their refined tastes. This monarchy holds Olassu, the Son of Beauty as its patron. The Nagatese do not get along well with Arigeans.

Mares - The feudal kingdom of Mares is a temperate realm of rich farmland and prosperous towns. Its inhabitants are renowned as diplomats with a love of the simple pleasures of life. Their patroness is Lameyre, The Mother of Mercy. They view the Acabrians as particular friends.

Qosh - This desert kingdom is the home of fierce, turbaned warriors who sequester their women to avoid the wrath of the jealous war goddess Shekeveroth, the Queen of Horses. The current Emperor, Aqim III, is Qoshite. Qoshites are traditional enemies of the Lavoleans, Dirosians, and Arigeans.

Xaruth - The inhabitants of the the theocracy of Xaruth are noted for their attractiveness and are regarded as immoral hedonists by the other nations. Their patroness is Ilunna, the Daughter of Desire. The cities of Xaruth are the pleasure dens of the Empire, and their famous blond and green-eyed courtesans are said to owe their beauty to a touch of Elven in the race. Xarutians and Latyreans bear a noted antipathy towards each other.

Imperial Province - The lands around the Imperial capital Augalis are administered separately from all other realms. Even the farmers that supply food to Augalis seem to hold themselves as above the inhabitants of other lands, and the citizens of Augalis itself are infamously arrogant and proud of living in the central city of Voazum. The greatest schools outside Latyrea, the most powerful Wizards outside Diros, the most disciplined martial monasteries outside Arigea, the most beautiful courtesans outside Xaruth, and the finest artists outside Nagato are all to be found here.

Demihumans occupy small freeholds scattered throughout the human realms. Imperial officials allow their leaders the title and status of Lord or Lady, although many claim higher offices that go unrecognized among humans. Demihumans are subject to, and protected by, human law when in human lands. By treaty, Imperial law does not apply on Demihuman freeholds.

Humanoids (Goblins, Orcs, etc.) have no legal protection (unless they are slaves), and live wherever they can.

Miscellaneous Facts

The months of the Imperial Calendar are named for the 12 recognized deities of the Imperial Faith. The 1st of each month is a festival dedicated to its particular God. The months are (in order from the Vernal Equinox): Aos, Ilunna, Olassu, Calebur, Shekeveroth, Qualea, Baraman, Kepteron, Lameyre, Havilt, Vettysha, and Amara.

Priests and Priestesses of the Imperial Faith must be of the same gender of their especial divine patron (except for Shekeveroth, who only accepts male priests). Cloistered Monks and Nuns, on the other hand, are usually of the opposite gender of the deity they dedicate themselves to (The big exception are the martial monks and nuns dedicated to Baraman which are of both genders equally).

Each recognized Deity of the Imperial Faith also has Legacies. A Legacy is a local deity who is considered a form of one of the other Imperial Gods. Legacies can be of a different gender than the Imperial God they are identified with. Some Legacies ( such as the vampire goddess Azanna, a Legacy of Ilunna) are illegal.

Arcane Magic can be legally practiced only by members of the Magical Orders that constitute the Arcane Covenant. The Covenant runs an Inquisition to destroy Witches and Warlocks who practice magic illegally. The rules of the Covenant prevent Wizards from being involved in mundane politics (except in Diros). Wizards are neither protected by or subject to ordinary laws, but are instead governed and protected by the Covenant. A typical town will probably be inhabited by only 1 or 2 wizards.

Few Clerics are able to perform miracles. Those that openly display the ability are sometimes investigated by the Inquisition to ascertain that the cleric is not performing arcane magic outside the Covenant.

Druids can usually safely practice their religion in Acabria, Engasea, and Mares, but elsewhere they are often subject to persecution by the Arcane Inquisition.

It is illegal to enslave humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, or gnomes anywhere in th Empire. Humanoid slaves, particularly goblins, are common however, especially in Qosh.

Slander

Explorer
I would second the wiki idea for convenience.

Also, I would recommend checking out the Player's Guide for the War of the Burning Sky (it's free). It is a good template for presenting a world from a PCs perspective w/o giving away the farm. A full chapter of the guide is dedicated to the main city, and another chapter is dedicated to detailing the common knowledge of the rest of the region.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Many small handouts over the course of several adventures are often better than one big handout. However, I would recommend a 2-4 page general handout, told from the point of view of various characters, about items of interest. Swipe or draw illustrations (things are for some reason far more interesting with illustrations :D ) and make sure that you include some kind of overview map.

Everything that you include in the handout should, ideally, include one or more hooks. These hooks can refer to plots ("'Tis said there's great green worms in the sewers that eat the rot what goes down there."), resources ("Aye, the lamplighters know all what goes on this city at night, though few pay them no mind."), and/or cool character concepts ("The druids of the Harbour Stones meet at nights of the full moon for their secret rites; they are said to take the wolf and the stag as their totems.")

RC

Snapdragyn

Explorer
In addition to what others have said, I would consider thinking up just 1 or 2 tidbits to give to anyone who takes ranks in an appropriate Knowledge skill.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Thanks for all the help, shall definitely look at all presented ideas :)

It is hard to do campaign backgrounds where everything the PCs know is a lie, but rumours exist of the truth ><

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases