Running 4e published adventures (some spoilers)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My Sunday campaign has just started through H3: Pyramid of Shadows. In some ways, I think it will be the most successful of the heroic tier adventures. Partly this is because I think the encounters should amuse this particular group of players, but mainly it's because I'm getting more of a handle on how to run 4e adventures.

During the 3e era, I ran a *lot* of Paizo/Dungeon adventures, and, for the most part, they have the role-playing encounters spelt out for you. If you're meant to talk to this monster - here, have a role-playing encounter. If you're meant to fight them, here's the combat tactics. Of course, players could (and would) enter encounters the opposite of expectations, and Paizo (especially) rarely gave nothing for the other approach; you could run encounters either way; but you generally knew how you were meant to run them.

Both 4e's H1 and H2 look a lot like a bunch of nothing but combat encounters. And, being new to 4e, this is mostly how I ran them. However, 4e encounters are really a lot like 1e (Gygaxian) encounters: the DM can run them any darn way he or she feels like! And good and, perhaps more importantly, experienced DMs will do so.

(To be honest, there's a bunch of home base roleplaying in both H1 and H2, but it doesn't feel that way once you hit the dungeons).

This is the disconnect that I'm now trying to overcome. Interestingly, it seems like the module designers are also seeing that the DMs are taking the encounters to be too much "combat-based" as well; both H3 and P2 have dedicated sections explaining how to run encounters as role-playing encounters rather than pure combat encounters.

So, in H3, instead of the plant creatures just attacking the party, they got into a conversation with them - the result of which seems to be an uneasy alliance. Running the adventure this way does need quite a bit of application and creativity from the DM, for you only have the broad strokes of how to run the NPCs, but it is achievable and the possibilities are rather exciting.

I also have Vyrellis to interact with the characters (intelligent artefacts are always fun), and the PCs are serving the evil wizard from the previous adventure due to a botched final combat (it works well within the context of the campaign, in fact).

So, I think I'm getting a lot better at running modules in the 4e style.

How is it for you?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
I assume this is a Spoiler-filled zone. :) If not, DO NOT READ FURTHER.

Yeah, I'm playing in H3 (but I've half of it, so oh well :)). What's funny is that we were given the "Get the evil dragonborn bandit", and as soon as we get into the pyramid and get into a few fights, we knock on the bandit's door and ask to sleep in his neck of the woods. Amusing.

I was disappointed with the limited amount of roleplaying encounters in P1. But, I think the skill challenge with the dragon is rather cool.

wedgeski

Adventurer
H1 did not impress me at all in the roleplaying stakes, but I think (and hope!) that the version of it that my players ended up actually running was better than what was written on the page.

In prepping for H2 I can't help but see fight after fight after fight, and there is very little advice given for new DM's on how to switch things around. If an inexperienced DM played an encounter how he saw it in the book, H2 would be a slog of the highest order. This, I think, is poor on the part of the designers, perhaps a desire to keep the H series modules simple which has gotten a bit out of hand. The Seven-Pillared Hall is, of course, the exception, with plenty of good NPC's and several hooks.

At this point the pre-published modules are a good source for maps, ideas, and individual encounters, which makes them solid value for money in my book, but I wouldn't want to run them as-written.

This has also given me an idea for a new thread.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'm also noticing a lot more information around interaction with NPC's rather than violence in the higher level modules, which I'm very happy with.

P2 seems to have LOTS of info about diplomacy, encouraging sneaking and talking to enemies over fighting them. Considering the power of some of the enemies, this is clearly a good thing!

I think we'll see more and more of this kind of integrated play spelled out in future modules as the designers get to grips with all the possibilities of the new system.

crash_beedo

First Post
Both 4e's H1 and H2 look a lot like a bunch of nothing but combat encounters. And, being new to 4e, this is mostly how I ran them. However, 4e encounters are really a lot like 1e (Gygaxian) encounters: the DM can run them any darn way he or she feels like! And good and, perhaps more importantly, experienced DMs will do so.

(To be honest, there's a bunch of home base roleplaying in both H1 and H2, but it doesn't feel that way once you hit the dungeons).

I agree with this... H1 and H2 didn't read as well as they played once the players got in there and let the stories take over. I have a lot more respect for the 'sandbox' nature the games took after DMing those two adventures; whereas upon reading I felt they'd feel too linear in play.

I think you're right that too many DMs are expecting the big neon signs saying 'ROLEPLAY HERE' and 'FIGHT HERE' and not letting the setting and encounters develop organically.

P2 is taking an awesome approach... here are a bunch of baddies, talk to 'em, fight 'em, we don't care - let your players figure it out.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
P2 is taking an awesome approach... here are a bunch of baddies, talk to 'em, fight 'em, we don't care - let your players figure it out.

P2 is going to be a challenge to run. I like the themes of P1 a lot more, but P2 really gives a group a lot to work with.

It's all part of Wizards adapting to the new adventure format as well; at this point, I like it so much more than the 3e format. (I'm sick of encounters that split over pages, or statblocks that take up 3+ pages! I'm looking at you, Kyuss!)

Cheers!

Wootz

First Post
The published quests I've tried so far don't amuse me much, but those were mostly to get people understanding the game, so I guess I can't complain much. Still, it would've been cooler if they didn't all seem like "go here, kill this, then go to the next room, then kill those, rinse and repeat" maybe if there were more branching paths...

Jack99

Adventurer
It's all part of Wizards adapting to the new adventure format as well; at this point, I like it so much more than the 3e format. (I'm sick of encounters that split over pages, or statblocks that take up 3+ pages! I'm looking at you, Kyuss!)

Cheers!

You will be happy to know that he now takes up less than ½ a page!

Remove ads