Encounter writers block

Baz King

Explorer
I'm prepping a couple of one shots for a con that's just round the corner (time-wise) and I've drawn a blank. I usually have no problems at all, and I'm not short on inspiration, I just can't seem to get the ideas coming.

So two questions: first, what do you do when you need to get the juices flowing? Browse the compendium? Flick through your old Dragons? What?

Second, rather selfishly, what encounter groups would you use for 5th level, set in the feywild, but in a well defended building?

Cheers!

Logan_Bonner

First Post
I'd start with a compendium search for "fey," limiting level to 4–6 and sorting by role. Then expand from there. If it's in a building, you'll probably want some more civilized, human-like monsters, perhaps with some trained beasts. Think about how the PCs are going to attack the building and what counter-tactics will make for the most fun in-game moments.

Roger

First Post
Second, rather selfishly, what encounter groups would you use for 5th level, set in the feywild, but in a well defended building?
I'd probably go with kenku or myconids for a good handful of encounters. Oh, who am I kidding... I'd go with both.

Cheers,
Roger

Jack7

First Post
I usually have no problems at all, and I'm not short on inspiration, I just can't seem to get the ideas coming.

So two questions: first, what do you do when you need to get the juices flowing?

I'm a professional writer BK, so I reckon I have the opposite problem (than what is usually considered writer's block) to a greater or lesser degree. I have far too many ideas than I will ever have the time in which to create decent articles, essays, stories, papers, etc.

So I almost never have the particular problem of not having anything to write about, and that includes even down to things like game scenarios. I face the problem of lack of time for everything I want to write, invent, compose, design, or draw. I, also because of that, face the problem of whittling down exactly what it is I want to do against what is really most important to do. (Deciding what is the best and most productive use of my time - this thing or that thing.) I also occasionally face the problem of not knowing exactly how to proceed with my ideas or projects.

(And truth be told I think this is really what most people mean by saying they have "writer's block." Not that they don't know what to write about, but don't know how to go about it - in what way exactly. And that's a lot different problem from being blocked, from having an obstacle in your way. It's more like being lost, or not knowing the proper or best direction in which to proceed.)

And since you said you don't lack for inspiration, then I'm assuming your problem is more like being lost. And if that is indeed the case then I'm gonna suggest some more abstract ideas than what has already been suggested. Ideas that can be applied not just to gaming, but to a wide range of writing type endeavors.

1. Go to the mall, or market place, or public square, a pub, etc. Someplace where a lot of people congregate and you can find a lot of different kinds of people clustered up in crowds. Listen to what other people are talking about and write down anything that gives you a decent idea into your notebook or record it on your tape-recorder. You'd be surprised the ideas that are just floating about in public that you can apply to a very wide range of enterprises and efforts.

2. Read widely and well. For instance if your game is fantasy based you might want to read myth, religion, history, and on specific subjects related to whatever you are trying to construct or create. It's all been pretty much done before in one way or another, so the past is a good indication of future possibilities and capabilities. For sentence today I was listening to a lecture on Greek Mythology and the death of Sarpedon. It gave me a great idea for a play. But stuff like that can be easily adapted for game play as well. With very little effort.

3. I like to try and imagine specific problems or to analyze specific factors involved in whatever I am doing (or imagining) and then work backwards from the problem to potential solutions. I usually try and develop multiple possible scenarios and then this gives me a range of different avenues to pursue.

4. Biographies and autobiographies. As I said in No. 2 it's all been done before. And truth is often far stranger and a lot more interesting than fiction. I read at least one biography every new reading cycle. I usually learn far more about far more bizarre and interetsing things through good biogrhaies (and I don't mean mdoenr "pop biogrhaies" that are just cheerleading scribbles, but really good, objective biogrhaies, prsneting both the real faults and the great achievements of their subject) than I will ever gain by reading fiction. As a matter of fact the great majority of most really good fiction is simply the taking or real life events in the lives of famous people and changing those things around slightly to create a new fictional story or novel or piece of literature based upon a real life model. So I highly recommend biographies.

I got some other tricks and techniques but I reckon they aren't really important in your case. But the general idea is to employ techniques that sorta help you scout or cut a path in the direction you wanna be heading. So you use things that don't really unblock you so much as help you navigate or pilot a decent course setting. Cause it's rarely what you don't know about what ya do that's the problem in writing what ya want, as it is not knowing what ya don't. So you fix that by learning what ya can from others who already have. If that helped ya then good, I hope it does. If not, sorry.

But good luck to ya either way.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Get out my 'Set Encounter' chart and roll the d100 :)

Some ideas (that are on my chart). Find a picture you like, use that to inspire an encounter.

Flip open a random page of Dragon mag or some such. Dev an encounter based upon what you see/read.

Write up a standard random encounter, but mess with it a little. Eg it is already dead, it is fighting another group etc (I have a chart to apply to random encounters too ;)).

Basically, as you may have worked out, I like to use randomness to generate an idea :)

Ooh - "Ultimate Toolbox" is good for such charts too.

I also like an old Dragon article about putting adventures together. It was based on random allies, complications, rewards, etc. Even for written adventures I often roll on those charts to add side-plots. It was a great article...Not much help when I don't know title, etc

Finished warbling. C

Remove ads