D&D 4E 4E Monk & Melee touch

Darkthorne

First Post
OK, sorry if I have mised this but how is melee touch any different than a regular attack? The reason I ask is I am not getting the +3 weapon proficiency for my powers yet my weapon focus feat gets counted. According to WOTC Cust Service it is because all the powers state melee touch not [W] yet weapon focus is added in??? :erm: A striker that can't hit seeems a bit lame. Help please.

Nichwee

First Post
Melee Touch refers to range not weapon use. If the power has the weapon keyword then proficiency bonus to hit would be included.

Melee Touch
just means it has a range = to your "natural reach", so if you were a big creature (or had the right abilities) it would any range upto 2 (or so) while normally it is range 1 - but it would not be effectted by using a reach weapon such as a glaive/polearm as this range would indicated by the range being called Melee Weapon.

OK, sorry if I have mised this but how is melee touch any different than a regular attack? The reason I ask is I am not getting the +3 weapon proficiency for my powers yet my weapon focus feat gets counted. According to WOTC Cust Service it is because all the powers state melee touch not [W] yet weapon focus is added in??? :erm: A striker that can't hit seeems a bit lame. Help please.
Your powers usually will not target AC, therefore you do not need the proficiency bonus to help you hit. Just like Sorcerers and Warlocks don't need it.

spayne

First Post
The proficiency bonus is only added on powers that have the Weapon keyword. Monks are implement users, so their powers do not have the Weapon keyword.

The Weapon Focus feat does not require a power to have the Weapon keyword, so it works when using a weapon as an implement.

mysticknight232

First Post
The proficiency bonus is only added on powers that have the Weapon keyword. Monks are implement users, so their powers do not have the Weapon keyword.

The Weapon Focus feat does not require a power to have the Weapon keyword, so it works when using a weapon as an implement.

This seems to be missed the most by players and has been referenced in several Monk threads since the release of 4e. Monks are implement based and therefore they do not gain any weapon properties (proficiency, reach, brutal, defensive etc.). The only time you will gain +3 umarmed weapon proficiency bonus is when you're making a MBA. The Monk powers are all implement based so you will never gain non-magical weapon properties when using a Monk power.

Also, the range of the Monk powers will always be started on the power. Again, this is because they are implement based strikers. Magical properties such as +1 magic item still get added because it's a magical property. Likewise, if you're taking a feat for a Monk, you should take Versatile Expertise with Ki Focus and your weapon of choice. That way you gain the +1 feat bonus TH for both implement powers and MBAs as well.

Hope this clarifies things. People continue to be confused by the Monk, but the most important thing to remember is they are a melee based implement using striker. Think of them as a Wizard, only their spells are martial art moves. Their weapons are used to channel their focus and direct their attacks. The weapons themselves DO NOT deal the dmg, they just focus the dmg.

Remove ads