• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonus Magic Item Crafting: Too Much?

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm posting this seperate to my main thread because I really need some generic balance feedback.

I'm building a PrC based around Crafting, and as a part of that want it to gain Magic Item Crafting feats.

Given the following:

1. The PrC can be accessed by taking 1 lvl in any spellcasting class having Detect Magic on their list or by taking 2 levels in Spellthief to gain Detect Magic as a spelllike ability (there are probably more ways to get detect magic, but I'll leave it at that.)
2. The PrC does not require any other spellcasting to gain entry.
3. The PrC can be accessed at lvl 10.
4. It's a 5 lvl PrC with full Bab progression, good Fort and poor Ref/Will progression.
5. There is no spellcasting progression.

Originally, I wanted to give out:
Brew Potion at lvl 1
Craft Arms/Armour at lvl 2
Craft Wondrous Item at lvl 3
Forge Ring at lvl 4

in addition to several other abilities (which I will not name here because they are subject to change as a result of this discussion)

Now, I'm beginning to think that my original progression is somewhat high-powered, and I'm therefore thinking of reducing it to:

Bonus feat at lvl 1. Can be Brew Potion, Craft Arms/Armour or Craft Wondrous Item.
Bonus feat at lvl 3. same choices
Bonus feat at lvl 5. same choices but can also select Forge Ring.

Or do you think that's still too much?

reducing the options to 2 (at 1 and 4, or 1 and 5, or 2 and 5) or even 1 (at lvl 1 or 2. later would make me consider to drop the Magic Crafting completely because it would be too little too late) may also be an option.

I just don't have enough experience with the impact of crafting feats to know how powerfull they are in play.

Any comments?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Check the Artificer base class:
1. Scribe Scroll
2. Brew Potion
3. Craft Wondrous Item
4. Craft homunculus
5. Craft Magical Arms and Armor
7. Craft Wand
9. Craft Rod
12. Craft Staff
14. Forge Ring

...and these are all built-in class abilities pertaining to magical crafting feats, not counting the other class abilities.

Using this as an outline, smooth it into 10 levels of a progression instead of 20.

Remove ads