UK Games Expo 2013

tylermalan

First Post
Hey guys, I'm interested in going to UK Games Expo this year (my first year in the UK) but I'm a little tentative... I've never been to a gaming convention before and don't really know what to expect. I thoroughly checked out the site but I still don't know. I would most likely be going by myself, so that's another thing.

I'm basically envisioning a large building with multiple rooms, some of which are designated for actually playing games while others are primarily for the browsing and purchasing of games, maybe with some limited ability to try a game out before you buy it in a demo game or something. Meanwhile, lots of people schedule games and... sell... tickets? to join them, so you can pretty much just play games all weekend if you want, either of the roleplaying variety or the board variety.

Is it really pretty easy to get into? To go alone and still have a good time? To play the scheduled games, do you need to bring your books or anything with you?

Just looking for some input from people who have either been to UK Games Day or to other conventions in general before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
First time for me, too! I've been to Gen Con Indy a bunch of times, though, and I expect this to be a (smaller) version of that. With, bizarrely, fewer people I know, despite being 3000 miles closer to me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That IS bizarre. So, is it going to be basically what I'm expecting?

Haven't the foggiest! I could try to describe Gen Con to you, but I don't think there's any guarantee this will be the same. Generally one massive exhibitor's hall, with lots of other rooms hosting events, panels, and rows of gaming tables.

pedr

Explorer
That sounds about right.

You'll find more demos of card and board games I expect as RPGs can be hard to demo. The traders/demo teams are mainly there Saturday and Sunday with Friday being mainly a gaming day.

Tickets for organised games are on sale now and some will go quickly - aside from the Living Forgotten Realms adventures which I'm helping to run, if you're looking for 4e I can recommend games by Simon Matthews who has a great approach to 4e.

Nacho Man

First Post
Hi Tylermalan

UKGE has a mixture of all games types so you will find it very easy to meet up with gamers and enjoy a full weekend. Many people have cut their convention teeth at UKGE and there are lots of things to help you get started.

RPGS - You can pre-book these on the website. Register an account first - click customer login and then register - There are a couple of hundred games being run over the weekend so you should find something to suit. Living games allow you to create a Character that you can play and develop at other conventions. These include LFR and the pathfinder PFS adventures. The GM's will sort you a character out at the con. Some companies like triple Ace do run 1 hour tasters of their new products on their stand and they are all available to chat to you about what you like (one of the great things about a convention - meeting the people who make the games)

Boardgames - pretty much all the boardgame publishers run demo tables of their latest games in the trade halls. That way you can either walk up and play or book a game at a later time. Good way to meat new gamers. If you want more of a challenge you can play in one of the organised tournaments for boardgames. Again good way to get to know gamers. On the evenings there is open gaming space and we will be using a flag/cone system this year which allows players looking for extra players to put a flag/cone on their table letting you know they are looking for extra players.

Miniatures - because you need the figures these tend to be much more for those players who come ready to play, but X-Wing is easy to play and has a great 1st prize.

CCG's - There are several CCG tournaments running this year including the great netrunner. Several companies are running CCG demo games you can play in on their stands so if you haven't played before great way of learning how to play.

Their are costume groups and walk demo games of all sorts being run by companies and local gaming clubs. everyone is happy to chat so the best advice I can give is throw yourself in and it won't be long before you have made a bunch of new friends.

If you are stuck then look for the Expo ambassadors - These ladies in blue expo shirts are there specifically to help new attendees find stuff to play and do. we know that it can be intimidating. The front desk and ticketing desk will also give you any help you need. . I'm sure if you come you will have a good time, if you do don't forget to give me a shout and say hello.

Tony Hyams
(UKGE Director)

tylermalan

First Post
Thanks a ton! It sounds like a blast. There are a bunch of new games that I've been wanting to try out but haven't had the people to play with yet (Netrunner among them). It really sounds easy to get into, so I'll be making an account on the site today!

Remove ads