D&D 5E Running Vault of the Dracolich: Tips?

koga305

First Post
Hi all,

As you may have seen in my other thread, I'm a member of a campus gaming club and for our RPG finale event this year we're running the mega-adventure Vault of the Dracolich in a few weeks. We expect between 20 and 30 participants (so enough for 4 or 5 tables) and as the planning ramps up, the DMs and coordinator (myself) are becoming really excited about getting to run such an adventure.

I was wondering if any ENWorld regulars who have ran or played this adventure as a multi-table event had any tips for running it successfully. I know there were a few hiccups regarding monster difficulty in the original version; should we still worry about that given that we're running with the newest (public) playtest rules? Any tips for running the multiple tables at the same time? Tweaks to the plot or individual parts of the dungeon would be good to know about.

Thanks so much!

Shiroiken

Legend
It really sucks for them, but you really need a full time coordinator. They're not part of any table, and make all the announcements and track the full map.

Also, watch the clock and talk to the players about it beforehand. If you want to run the adventure in the four hours originally allotted, the players have to hurry. We found 1 Key within the 4 hours, then jumped to the final battle, which took another hour. I would suggest you tell the players they have X hours before the Dracolich is freed, which should incentive them to hurry.

The Final Battle: it actually sucks. The battle against the priests is boring after the first round (when they've spent their single use abilities), and it's just a matter of time. A Barbarian heavy group can kill the dracolich with only a small amount of luck. I don't know how the other groups did. I would suggest replacing the Priests with the latest priests (with actual spells), so the battle is a battle. I don't know how to fix the Dracolich battle.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
It's been a really long time, but I seem to remember that the original printing of the adventure, at least, was missing statistics for the named high priest servitor of the dracolich.

I second that the adventure runs long, and will probably run even longer with so many tables collaborating and making the final combat so much more complex. If you can, budget extra time. Six hours, maybe, instead of four.

koga305

First Post
It really sucks for them, but you really need a full time coordinator. They're not part of any table, and make all the announcements and track the full map.
That shouldn't be a problem. I plan to coordinate the event as described in the adventure; in fact, I think I'll enjoy the chance to sit back and watch things unfold.

Also, watch the clock and talk to the players about it beforehand. If you want to run the adventure in the four hours originally allotted, the players have to hurry. We found 1 Key within the 4 hours, then jumped to the final battle, which took another hour. I would suggest you tell the players they have X hours before the Dracolich is freed, which should incentive them to hurry.
I second that the adventure runs long, and will probably run even longer with so many tables collaborating and making the final combat so much more complex. If you can, budget extra time. Six hours, maybe, instead of four.
Hmm. We've been trying to keep our events to around three hours, so even 4 is on the high side; I don't think new players would be willing to stick around for much longer than that unless they got really into it (some might, but not everyone). The "X hours before the dracolich is freed" is a good idea to speed things up, and we might make use of the "oh hey, you run into a random group of monsters with the last idol" idea from the module itself. The DMs/myself are also planning to get together beforehand and practice coordinating the adventure (the DMs pretend they have parties). Any other ideas to keep things moving?

The Final Battle: it actually sucks. The battle against the priests is boring after the first round (when they've spent their single use abilities), and it's just a matter of time. A Barbarian heavy group can kill the dracolich with only a small amount of luck. I don't know how the other groups did. I would suggest replacing the Priests with the latest priests (with actual spells), so the battle is a battle. I don't know how to fix the Dracolich battle.
This is really good to know about! I think in general we're planning on using the latest packet rules including monster stats, so we will use the updated versions of the Dark Priests (I do know their Silence spells can completely shut out spellcasters en masse, so we may swap that for Spiritual Weapon or a "heightened" Inflict Light Wounds).
As for the dracolich battle, the stats don't seem to have changed much between the current and previous packets (although the Barbarian might be better balanced). We might be able to co-opt some of the Legendary rules from Legends and Lore to improve this encounter, but it might be simpler just to add more hit points. What was the issue with a Barbarian group beating it (especially with the resistance to all damage before the wards are disabled)?

It's been a really long time, but I seem to remember that the original printing of the adventure, at least, was missing statistics for the named high priest servitor of the dracolich.
Good catch! It just says "a Dark Priest with the benefit of the Murder Through Another's Hands idol" (i.e. half of the damage he takes is transferred to an ally). Given that the Dark Priest has only 22 HP, though, it might be worth whipping up some better stats for such an important NPC.

Thank you for all the advice!

Alphastream

Adventurer
I'm a member of a campus gaming club and for our RPG finale event this year we're running the mega-adventure Vault of the Dracolich in a few weeks. We expect between 20 and 30 participants (so enough for 4 or 5 tables)
That's awesome! As one of the three writers of the adventure, I'm really glad to hear of the adventure continuing to be used in the interactive format, and especially in a college where some gamers will be younger. Thanks for organizing this!

I was wondering if any ENWorld regulars who have ran or played this adventure as a multi-table event had any tips for running it successfully. I know there were a few hiccups regarding monster difficulty in the original version; should we still worry about that given that we're running with the newest (public) playtest rules? Any tips for running the multiple tables at the same time?
Multi-Table:
The event coordinator can play a really critical event beyond what is written. He or she can adjust the play experience in many ways. For example, by watching the timing of the adventure and providing clues to speed up play, encourage certain types of play, and helping groups that are having harder times. Some examples:
- Give one table a clue to where another table can find the last artifact. Timing is a big one. It is good for the coordinator to watch which tables are far from the last artifact (or lack clues to find it) and give them a bit of a boost.
- Encourage a table running into trouble (such as a monster that can't easily be defeated) to communicate with other tables. Maybe they have magic or know of a location that would impede/kill/trap this monster?
- If one table/player wants to experiment with the portals, encourage them to talk to other tables and share information they uncover - work together to figure out the portals.
- Intelligent monsters can react to players communicating. Bad guys in battle might break off, some staying for 'certain victory' and others heading to find the heroes this group of PCs was communicating with.
- Encourage PCs in over their heads to find options aside from combat. Encourage DMs to keep play interesting and fun, and to encourage options beyond just typical combat. What happens when you throw a rug over a monster, or lead them into a trap?

For the final battle, it can be a bit quick or easy. I'm not necessarily unhappy with that, because timing wise I think it worked very well for the original gameday: quick and exciting. But, you can add some HPs to the final dracolich or otherwise alter things to keep the conclusion exciting. If the players are strong, perhaps the dracolich wears a necklace, and the initial hits seem to be channeled into the necklace. Skills or daring (jump up, tear it off) are needed to counter the necklace and deal damage to it. This is your battle to regulate and make fun for everyone! The printed word never trumps the DMs or the coordinator's judgment!

Feetz

First Post
What was the issue with a Barbarian group beating it (especially with the resistance to all damage before the wards are disabled)?

It was underwhelming. By the time the first table disabled the wards the barbarians in the other group had dealt with dracolich. It diminished the interactive element of the final fight. Two barbarians with the haste/speed magic options available were able to put out serious damage that mitigated the resistance from the ward. Of course YMMV.

Besides giving it a bit more HP I would suggest upping it's damage output. The party that fought it never truly felt threatened. They were more scared of the hydra battle.

Overall though it's a fantastic adventure and everyone had a blast.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I haven't run it but, from what people are saying here and from what I've heard elsewhere you have to change the dracolich states and incorporate some legendary actions and such.

If you got it I recommend that you use the legendary creatures in Dead in Thay as a base to spice it up.

From the top of my head I would give it Legendary resistance (2) so it can turn any failed save into a successful one twice a day, and I would also give it Legendary actions:

The Dracolich gains three legendary actions at the end of each of its turns. It can take these actions at any time between then andthe start of its next turn, when any untaken legendary actionsare lost. The Dracolich can take its legendary actions in the followingways, spending the specified number of actions:

• 3 Actions: The Dracolich disrupts life force around it. Each creature within 20 feet of the Dracolich must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (2d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
  • 2 Actions: the Dracolich can use its' breath weapon if the weapon is charged.
  • 1 Action (1/Round): The Dracolich makes one Bite attack.
  • 1 Action (1/Round): The Dracolich makes one Claw attack.
  • 1 Action (1/Round): The Dracolich makes one Tail attack.

I think that will do it and make the combat an epic one. I would also use the bestiary states of the dracolich for the encounters with its simulacra (iirc) so it won't bog down the game. Now this might be a bit much for the event, it will totally change the balance of the adventure and might even make it too hard, my suggestion would be to keep this version of the dracolich in reserve and see how the players manage against the version in the adventure bestiary, if it's a challenge keep to the old states, if not use the new ones for the final battle and add another simulacra to the battle with the 4th group.

Have fun! And let us know how it went.

Warder

Feeroper

Explorer
Hey! Great to hear you are running this awesome module.

I think running a practice run is a great idea, and doing a thorough discussion with the DM's and coordinator is a must to go over any concerns or lay any ground rules.

We ran this on Game Day last year and it was one of the best game day events I have ever been a part of. I had so much fun (I was one of the table DM's).

Make sure everyone (as in DM's & Coordinator) is aware of the whole adventure, but don't sweat it and don't get too frazzled by it, it runs really well in practice.

Check out this link: http://dungeonsmaster.com/2013/06/dd-game-day-vault-of-the-dracolich-wrap-up/ - This was actually from the Game Day that I was DMing at in Toronto. Ameron (the guy behind the Dungeon's Master website) was coordinator for the event and we all had a great time. You might get some ideas on how to run it or how it might play out by checking out that wrap up report.

I have to admit, I am pretty jealous knowing you are going to be running this, I'd love to do this event again.​

Alphastream

Adventurer
One of the things we were up against in running the event was complexity. This was already more complex than the typical gameday adventure. Some of the initial design I did for that final adventure, in collaboration with the other two authors, included a lot more interconnection between the various tables. I like the idea of each group needing to accomplish a task before the others could be 'done'. Think of it as levers - we each have to 'switch our first lever' before any of us can switch the second lever and win. That proved a bit too complex, so I simplified and then the other authors helped simplify it further. Further, we were designing without stats! That's part of the fun of writing when an edition is still in progress! We didn't know how hard a dracolich would be, and of course even at the end WotC didn't have the feedback it now has on monster design.

So, the dracolich can indeed be too easy, even with its initial resistance. Depending on what you feel comfortable, you might just keep it all as-is and bump up HPs on the dracolich as needed so the timing of the fight matches what the other groups are accomplishing. Giving it Legendary Actions is also a neat idea, and I agree that the Dead in Thay adventure can provide you options that are fairly balanced. Another possible change is to provide the dracolich (and its simulacrum) with an eldritch shield. This shield is clearly visible, and functions as temporary hit points = to 1/2 Dretchroyaster's HPs. The PCs fighting a dracolich can simply beat through the shield and then the actual dracolich. BUT, the shield also drops when another table accomplishes something. An obvious candidate is for the eldritch shield to drop when the table disabling the wards has disables some number of wards. But, a fun option is for one of the mummies and three of the skeletons to have a quarter-disc emblem embedded in their chest. A tendril of energy flows from the discs to the eldritch shield, making the connection obvious. The creatures bearing the discs must be defeated and the disc joined together (an action, no check) to cause the shield to drop.

Just some ideas of what could be done if you feel comfortable enough to make changes. It did play very well at my local gaming store without any changes beyond a few extra HPs for the dracolich.

koga305

First Post
Whoa! So much great advice. My thanks (and XP) go to you all!

That's awesome! As one of the three writers of the adventure, I'm really glad to hear of the adventure continuing to be used in the interactive format, and especially in a college where some gamers will be younger. Thanks for organizing this!
No problem! It is great to hear directly from the writer of such a fantastic adventure. Your insight is much appreciated.

Multi-Table:
The event coordinator can play a really critical event beyond what is written. He or she can adjust the play experience in many ways. For example, by watching the timing of the adventure and providing clues to speed up play, encourage certain types of play, and helping groups that are having harder times. Some examples:
- Give one table a clue to where another table can find the last artifact. Timing is a big one. It is good for the coordinator to watch which tables are far from the last artifact (or lack clues to find it) and give them a bit of a boost.
- Encourage a table running into trouble (such as a monster that can't easily be defeated) to communicate with other tables. Maybe they have magic or know of a location that would impede/kill/trap this monster?
- If one table/player wants to experiment with the portals, encourage them to talk to other tables and share information they uncover - work together to figure out the portals.
- Intelligent monsters can react to players communicating. Bad guys in battle might break off, some staying for 'certain victory' and others heading to find the heroes this group of PCs was communicating with.
- Encourage PCs in over their heads to find options aside from combat. Encourage DMs to keep play interesting and fun, and to encourage options beyond just typical combat. What happens when you throw a rug over a monster, or lead them into a trap?
All awesome tips. I will keep these things in mind as I observe things, although I suspect my biggest role as Coordinator will be as a rules advisor (two of our DMs are new to D&DN). The general message I get here is "give players hints based on what's happening at other tables," which is something I wasn't thinking about before.

For the final battle, it can be a bit quick or easy. I'm not necessarily unhappy with that, because timing wise I think it worked very well for the original gameday: quick and exciting. But, you can add some HPs to the final dracolich or otherwise alter things to keep the conclusion exciting. If the players are strong, perhaps the dracolich wears a necklace, and the initial hits seem to be channeled into the necklace. Skills or daring (jump up, tear it off) are needed to counter the necklace and deal damage to it. This is your battle to regulate and make fun for everyone! The printed word never trumps the DMs or the coordinator's judgment!
Extra HP might be the way to go (easy to implement), but the necklace idea is also good to add excitement to the battle. Perhaps the necklace is the source of some of the legendary abilities suggested below, or maybe it absorbs spells (to match the resistance provided by the wards).

It was underwhelming. By the time the first table disabled the wards the barbarians in the other group had dealt with dracolich. It diminished the interactive element of the final fight. Two barbarians with the haste/speed magic options available were able to put out serious damage that mitigated the resistance from the ward. Of course YMMV.

Besides giving it a bit more HP I would suggest upping it's damage output. The party that fought it never truly felt threatened. They were more scared of the hydra battle.

Overall though it's a fantastic adventure and everyone had a blast.
Hm. Definitely stuff to keep in mind, but it seems like Haste spells and similar would only be available to third level characters. Also, the Barbarian from the packet a year ago had resistance to most damage, while this one only has 8 THP - probably not as good.
Damage output is a good one to keep in mind. The current dracolich doesn't hit for a ton (at least, it doesn't seem like it for a 14th level monster), so maybe I can incorporate some of the legendary options suggested by Blackwarder below.

I haven't run it but, from what people are saying here and from what I've heard elsewhere you have to change the dracolich states and incorporate some legendary actions and such.

If you got it I recommend that you use the legendary creatures in Dead in Thay as a base to spice it up.

From the top of my head I would give it Legendary resistance (2) so it can turn any failed save into a successful one twice a day, and I would also give it Legendary actions:

<snip>

I think that will do it and make the combat an epic one. I would also use the bestiary states of the dracolich for the encounters with its simulacra (iirc) so it won't bog down the game. Now this might be a bit much for the event, it will totally change the balance of the adventure and might even make it too hard, my suggestion would be to keep this version of the dracolich in reserve and see how the players manage against the version in the adventure bestiary, if it's a challenge keep to the old states, if not use the new ones for the final battle and add another simulacra to the battle with the 4th group.

Have fun! And let us know how it went.

Warder
These are super cool ideas and I can definitely see myself using them. The legendary actions seem appropriate and fix the problem indicated above of DPR, but I think I'll do as you suggested and hold these things in reserve. Perhaps the monster ramps up when it's bloodied, as per lots of 4E solo design? Adding a second simulacra also seems like a good idea, but we'll see how the groups are doing at that point (lots of new players means they may not have as much success as experienced gamers).

Hey! Great to hear you are running this awesome module.

I think running a practice run is a great idea, and doing a thorough discussion with the DM's and coordinator is a must to go over any concerns or lay any ground rules.

We ran this on Game Day last year and it was one of the best game day events I have ever been a part of. I had so much fun (I was one of the table DM's).

Make sure everyone (as in DM's & Coordinator) is aware of the whole adventure, but don't sweat it and don't get too frazzled by it, it runs really well in practice.

Check out this link: http://dungeonsmaster.com/2013/06/dd-game-day-vault-of-the-dracolich-wrap-up/ - This was actually from the Game Day that I was DMing at in Toronto. Ameron (the guy behind the Dungeon's Master website) was coordinator for the event and we all had a great time. You might get some ideas on how to run it or how it might play out by checking out that wrap up report.

I have to admit, I am pretty jealous knowing you are going to be running this, I'd love to do this event again.​
I am super excited to run this - for someone who's never participated in Organized Play or gone to a convention it seems like the D&D game of a lifetime.
I have seen that Dungeon's Master link (great website by the way, I read it all the time), but it's always good to give it another read through.

One of the things we were up against in running the event was complexity. This was already more complex than the typical gameday adventure. Some of the initial design I did for that final adventure, in collaboration with the other two authors, included a lot more interconnection between the various tables. I like the idea of each group needing to accomplish a task before the others could be 'done'. Think of it as levers - we each have to 'switch our first lever' before any of us can switch the second lever and win. That proved a bit too complex, so I simplified and then the other authors helped simplify it further. Further, we were designing without stats! That's part of the fun of writing when an edition is still in progress! We didn't know how hard a dracolich would be, and of course even at the end WotC didn't have the feedback it now has on monster design.

So, the dracolich can indeed be too easy, even with its initial resistance. Depending on what you feel comfortable, you might just keep it all as-is and bump up HPs on the dracolich as needed so the timing of the fight matches what the other groups are accomplishing. Giving it Legendary Actions is also a neat idea, and I agree that the Dead in Thay adventure can provide you options that are fairly balanced. Another possible change is to provide the dracolich (and its simulacrum) with an eldritch shield. This shield is clearly visible, and functions as temporary hit points = to 1/2 Dretchroyaster's HPs. The PCs fighting a dracolich can simply beat through the shield and then the actual dracolich. BUT, the shield also drops when another table accomplishes something. An obvious candidate is for the eldritch shield to drop when the table disabling the wards has disables some number of wards. But, a fun option is for one of the mummies and three of the skeletons to have a quarter-disc emblem embedded in their chest. A tendril of energy flows from the discs to the eldritch shield, making the connection obvious. The creatures bearing the discs must be defeated and the disc joined together (an action, no check) to cause the shield to drop.

Just some ideas of what could be done if you feel comfortable enough to make changes. It did play very well at my local gaming store without any changes beyond a few extra HPs for the dracolich.
As an aspiring game designer, it is super cool to hear from the person who actually designed the adventure I'm running. Interesting to hear that you designed without stats - the thing seems impressively balanced keeping that in mind. I suppose D&D, especially 5E, is a game pretty resistant to balance concerns (the DM can tick up or tick down as necessary), but even so based on play reports most of the fights and other challenges went very smoothly.
Although the dracolich already has a ward, I like the idea of connecting it to undead minions and I might implement that in the adventure (perhaps the simulacra could be supporting the dracolich's shield as well).

Thanks to everyone, again, for all the advice! I am super pumped to run this either this weekend or the next.

Remove ads