D&D 5E grabbed the PHB at lunch - art is really great

evilbob

Explorer
Just wanted to say - like so many others - that the art is really, really good. There are a few flubs here and there, but taken as a whole the art is mostly very good. The dwarf racial page - already spoiled - is probably one of the best illustrations in the book. Absolutely nailed it. Prismatic spray looks awesome. There are tons of great "little moment" pieces, where characters are just sort of living their lives - love 'em. There's a great one where they are dividing up loot and the caster has a new trinket he's trying to figure out - such a great moment. Gender parity is totally there; exactly 0 chainmail bikinis (unless I missed one). The druid woman in an open leather top (also spoiled) is probably the raciest image.

The only thing I consistently don't like are the halflings. It's probably just a stylistic thing, but they look horrible to me, and the halfling racial page is the worst illustration in the book in my opinion. There are only a few of them in the whole book, though. Gnomes, by contrast, look WAY better than in any previous edition, in my opinion. Love the gnome racial image, too.

The cover art also looks 50x better in person. Still wildly inappropriate (not a party, notable lack of dungeons or dragons, giant monster what?, still not a party), but the jpgs we have seen just can't do it justice. I wish they had used the "intro to part 1" picture - a party on a cliff overlooking a red dragon - but it's a bit busy for a cover. (That picture is good, too.) But the FEEL of the book is GREAT. Hard to describe, but you'll get it. And "red" as a core color - DMG is purple, for example - just feels right.

Great job!

Last edited:

Lalato

Adventurer
Not anymore.

10% of the DMs in the free world have their hands on it now and growing by several percentage points per day. :lol:

Pics no longer required. Someone want pics, buy the book. :erm:

Hey... don't rain on my parade. We want more pics...

(I'm picking up my copy after work today... but I need my fix, man)

evilbob

Explorer
There's a woman in full plate armor in a group picture who looks bad. ass.

Sorry, not uploading any pics :) - besides, they'd be crappy phone scans anyway and couldn't possibly do it justice. Just a quick heads up for anyone interested; that's all this post is.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I like the bar fight (well, maybe it's a real fight) in the Yawning Portal. I thought that was a good touch.

And, the rogue stealing the helmet.

And, the chick fighting the skeleton.

Lots of good pics here.

Got my copy at lunch today, too!
But I extended my lunch at the Brazen Fox and gave the book a good flip-through. :)

The layout and the look of the book is fantastic. Love the intro by Mearls, too.

My favorite artwork, however, are the Conditon sketches. Those are hilarious!

There's also a great pic of a wizard looking at a mushroom while researching in a book and there's something like a baby beholder in a jar next to him ... weird!

Really like the departure from the anime style art of Pathinder and the way women are presented, too. Less eye candy, and more badass!

Remove ads