• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC, special abilities or spells?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I'm working on a prestige class and have gotten to the point of 'too many special abilities and can't choose which ones'. Since most of these extra special abilities would be supernatural or spell like, I'm considering just adding a assassin-like spell progression (though as sorc, not wiz). The problems are that
1) some of the abilites were meant to be always on in a bad way,
2) the class specializes in attacking while grappled and free still spells with no material components may be hard to ballance and
3) some people don't like the assassin spell casting and I'm not sure if it's good to include unless spell casting is part of the core class concept.

Thoughts, advice, opinions?

kahuna burger

Kahuna Burger

First Post
*cough cough* *bump*

No seriously, I was hoping for an answer... :p

someone better give me feedback or I'll be forced to post it as a poll....

kahuna burger

haiiro

First Post
I'll second Ciaran's request for more info, but as a general rule I don't like it when a PrC seems to have a spell progression tacked on for no real reason. If it's not part of the core concept (and you seem to be suggesting that it's not), I'd steer clear of gratuitous spellcasting abilities.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Ciaran said:
I think we need more, and more specific, information about the class.

- Eric

Well, its called the Poisoned Bait. A woman who allows herself to be attacked and then kills her attackers at close range. Sneak attack damage and improved ability to strike while being grappled are the main extrordinary abilities. I'd also like her to have some supernatural abilities for delayed vengence (like a contagion ability), anticipating attacks (something like sense attention), and staying alive if she chooses the delayed vengence route (an Aura of Value or somesuch which makes people loath to kill her out of hand.) Since the closest prestige class would be the assassin, I'm considering doing the supernatural effects as spells rather than always on abilities (this would also allow me to include all the options I come up with rather than forcing one progression.) But what are the drawbacks of that? Hence my dillemma.

Kahuna Burger

MarauderX

Explorer
I would keep it all at special abilities, no spells, and gain the abilities or improve current ones with the added levels. It doesn't sound as if a character with this PrC would be able to cast spells while rolling around on the ground with a foe anyway.

Stalker0

Legend
I second sticking with special abilities. Spells are for book nerds, not hot poisoned chicks:)

hehe, seriously unless the class really emphasizes spells I don't like seeing them. So I would avoid them if possible.

Remove ads