Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just received this in my inbox.
-----------------------------
Wednesday, 15 April 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Weird Discoveries from Monte Cook Games Reinvents
the RPG Adventure

100 events on International TableTop Day prove it: You can run an RPG with no more prep than a typical board game!

“Simple, intuitive, and fast! I was able to read and prep a several-hour investigation adventure in about 10 minutes. It was a joy to run!”
“A excellent way to throw together a game on the fly whenever we could find time to get together and play.”
“I am pleasantly surprised at how well this format works, and definitely give it a thumbs up!”

Famed RPG innovator Monte Cook has done it again: He turned his attention to the venerable RPG adventure, which has seen few innovations since the days of D&D’s early “modules,” and asked if all the prep and setup was really necessary. The answer, as demonstrated in Weird Discoveries: Ten Instant Adventures for Numenera, is a resounding No!

To prove it, Monte Cook Games, LLC, sent an Instant AdventureTM to scores of GMs around the world. The adventure was run nearly 100 times on Saturday, April 11th. To demonstrate the format, these GMs weren’t given the adventure until shortly before they had to run their games—so they were unable to spend the hours that GMs typically put into getting ready to run an RPG.

Why is this so revolutionary? “It’s Friday night, and you’ve gotten together with a bunch of your friends,” explained Monte Cook, who created the Instant Adventures format. “You could watch a movie, or play board game. But before now, an RPG was out of the question. Even if you had pre-generated characters, someone had to spend hours getting ready to GM, even with a published adventure. But it seemed to me that it didn’t have to be that way. If you wrote and presented the adventure in the right way, a GM could get ready to run the game in the same 10 minutes it took the players to pick out their characters.”

This isn’t just an advantage for diehard RPG players. It also opens the category to gamers who are interested in RPGs, but don’t have the time to commit. “And it’s great for retailers, because they can demo RPGs within the same constraints as board games,” commented MCG COO Charles Ryan. “The same space, the same time, the same personnel. All the barriers that make it hard to demo or run RPGs in a store are suddenly gone.”

The format won’t be limited to Weird Discoveries. “As we look ahead to future adventure products, the Instant Adventures format will be part of it,” commented Ryan. “It’s not necessarily right for every adventure, but it’s been so successful we’ll definitely build upon it!”

Weird Discoveries: Ten Instant Adventures for Numenera (96-page softcover; $24.99; MCG065; includes ten adventures and six pre-generated characters) is shipping now and goes on sale in late April.

“I ran it with literally no preparation and it worked quite well. I might finally be able to introduce more friends to P&P who are kinda resistant to it because of the time they think it will take.”
“It was wonderfully easy to grab the adventure and go . . . much easier to prepare for as compared to other adventures I have run!”
“I can say with certainty that I will be purchasing the Weird Discoveries book as soon as it’s available.”

Monte Cook Games, LLC, was formed in 2012 by Monte Cook and Shanna Germain, with the aim of revitalizing fan passion for RPGs through innovative, visionary releases. The first Monte Cook Games title, Numenera, released in August of 2013 and recently won the Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Game of the year and numerous ENnie Awards, including Product of the Year. The company’s second game, The Strange, was released in August 2014 to critical acclaim.

# # #

For more information, or to schedule an interview with Monte Cook or any member of the MCG team, please contact MCG’s COO Charles M. Ryan at charles@montecookgames.com.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Am I the only one missing a descritpion of how this revolutionary format looks like? :confused:

The last try in the direction of prep-minimisation - 4e's delve format - hadn't exactly received a warm welcome.

delericho

Legend
Am I the only one missing a descritpion of how this revolutionary format looks like? :confused:

Nope. Somewhat frustrating, that. Still, I guess if this new format is part of their competitive advantage, they probably don't want to share it with people who aren't buying the book. :)

The last try in the direction of prep-minimisation - 4e's delve format - hadn't exactly received a warm welcome.

While that's true, for me the key difference here is where Charles Ryan says, "It’s not necessarily right for every adventure." That was also true of the Delve format, but WotC made the mistake of using it for every one anyway.

Aldarc

Legend
I actually did run the free preview of Weird Adventures for a group skeptical of Numenera about a month ago. I gave them pre-made characters based on the sort of characters they normally run. The players had loads of fun with the game. It was a blast and easy to run. It does rely heavily on the ability of the DM to fill in the gaps (non-essential NPCs, encounters, etc.), but it was far from being demanding. I could see this playing easily like a board game, if it had random encounter cards associated with it.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, having read through that preview, I'm impressed - he's managed to boil things down to a point where he can convey a lot of information quickly.

He also (wisely, IMO) recognises that there are some 'keys' in a game that are often essential (and moreso in a one-shot), and so although he provides recommended locations for these he does also note that the GM may well need to move them to improve pacing.

I do think the format may not move to other games terribly well - it works for Numenera because there's virtually no need for creature stats (or these are almost one-liners). Trying to present the same for D&D, for example, wouldn't have the same advantage. Though even that could be manageable - perhaps if each encounter area were presented on a separate page/card that could be consulted alongside the 'main' key as needed.

(Though that last then has shades of the Delve format... Ick.)

Anyway, I do recommend checking out that preview, even for a non-Numenera GM. It does seem to me that there's something useful there.

JeffB

Legend
I like Monte Cook's stuff, but this phrase is a bit over the top!

I think it's ridiculous. I haven't seen Numenera, but his work with ICE/Hero, TSR/Wizards and Mahavoc is not really innovative.

Though the idea of this product has piqued my interest.

Remove ads