'Tis the season: eggnog mixers

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I love eggnog, preferably spiked. Over the years, I've tried lots of mixers: Buffalo Trace Burbon, American Honey whiskey, Piehole Whiskey (pecan and cherry flavors), Amaretto, Kalhua, and a spirit calle Root, to name a few.

Root is an interesting spirit. Made by Art in the Age, Root is a root tea- an herbal spirit that morphed into root beer when the alcohol was removed. Neat or over ice, it tastes like a less sweetened version of Barg's Root beer. As such, it makes a killer float...and as mentioned, it also pairs nicely with eggnog.
http://www.artintheage.com/our-spirits/

However, it is a sister product that may become my preferred eggnog mixer. Despite my dislike of ginger snap cookies, I tried Snap. Like Root, it is relatively unsweetened as compared to the nonalcoholic consumables that it is closest to. Neat or on the rocks, it smells intensely of holiday spices and has a nice bite to it.

But tonight,I tried it with eggnog...and essentially, it tasted like I drank a cookie.

By that, I mean that sometimes you spike the eggnog, and you can still distinctly taste the alcoholic spirit you used to spice things up. With Snap, all you taste is the holiday spirit. In that sense it is both perfectly wonderful, but also perfectly dangerous. Properly blended, most people wouldn't know they were drinking an alcoholic bev by taste, only by the aftereffects.

Remove ads