Genniling... is this race unbalanced?

Lalato

Adventurer
I found reference to this race in an old 2e planescape website. The website appears to be abandoned... I tried to e-mail the webmaster, but the address wasn't any good. Anyway... this caught my eye and I decided to update to 3e.

Is this unbalanced? Let me know what you think...

Gennilings...
Gennilings are the offspring of genasi and tieflings or aasimar. Their genetics make them very rare. Playing a genniling is mostly about role-playing one of the planes' most hybrid offspring. All the time, the suspicion of fiends, celestials and elementals from their past hangs about them. The principal races of the planes (elementals, rilmani, baatezu, yugoloths, tanar'ri, guardinals, aasimons, etc.) tend to have an instinctive mistrust of gennilings, seeing them as interlopers from 'the other side'.

Personality: They are even more mixed up than tieflings and aasimar, and tend to pretend to be humans. Because of this, gennilings tend to be as adaptable and flexible as humans. Since they are often the only of their kind anyone has ever seen they tend to suffer from distrust and prejudice.

Physical Description: They appear to be humans with pointed ears and a faint hint of some hue about their skin, depending upon their heritage. Gennilings vary in height and weight similarly to humans. Gennilings age at about the same rate as half-elves.

Relations: Gennilings get along well with humans. Most Gennilings are a little suspicious of other planetouched, but they are rarely hostile or malicious.

Genniling Lands: Gennilings have no lands of their own. They most often live among humans. Of the other races, humans are the ones most likely to accept gennilings.

Religion: Gennilings worship the same gods as humans.

Language: Gennilings speak most human languages, but they can also learn others.

Names: Gennilings take on names appropriate to the cultures that surround them.

Adventurers: Genniliing find themselves drawn to strange careers and unusual company. Taking up the life of an adventurer comes easily to many of them.

Genniling Racial Traits:
•-2 Charisma
•Medium-size
•Genniling base speed is 30 ft.
•1 extra feat at 1st level, because gennilings are so similar to humans
•4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level, since gennilings are as versitile and capable as humans.
•Automatic Language: Regional Language. Bonus Languages: Any. Gennilings mingle with all kinds of other folk and thus can learn any language found in an area.
•Favored Class: Any. Same as humans.
•+1 racial bonus to saving throws against [element] spells and effects... where [element] is the type of Genasi one of the parents were.
•+1 racial bonus to Listen, Spot, Move Silently and Hide.

The idea has potential, and the flavor could work well in some campaigns, but I don't think the numbers work out well.

This race is very similar to a human (any favored class, bonus feat, and extra skills). The only detraction is a Cha penalty. The extra bonuses are aid in saving throws and skills. That being said, this class is better than a human for combat PCs in just about every way possible. Sorry, but I can't say it's balanced.

On a flavor note, I think that it's just too vanilla. From the description, it seems like they should have some bonuses and drawbacks that are heavily tied to their planar or elemental roots. I think the racial traits should refelct better, and be more interesting that just a bonus to saving throws or skills.

I apologize in advance if this post seems insulting. You've got a good start, but it needs revising.

Last edited:

Lalato

Adventurer
Deset Gled... thanks for your comments...

I converted the race from the 2e specs I found. The 2e specs were somewhat vague... How about if the bonus feat is taken away?

--sam

Lalato

Adventurer
Darklone... I agree that it would be too weak then.

Hmmm... so how about eliminating the extra 4 skill points, but keeping the bonus feat?

Or perhaps giving them multiple Favored Classes instead of Any... Rogue, Sorcerer, Fighter only... I was also thinking of being really evil and saying that despite the Charisma Penalty their Favored Class is Bard. Would that work?

Deset Gled... I don't fully understand why this race is better than humans at combat? The only thing they get extra are +1 to saves vs. a specific type of element... and +1 to skill checks in Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen... None of that should give this race a serious combat advantage.

--sam

Remove ads